Save the unique Aru in Indonesia from becoming plantation lands
Aru is a cluster of 300 small tinny islands where greatest birds of paradise are living harmoniously with kangaroos, black cockatoos & crocodile. This heavenly place is threatened to be destroyed recently by a stupid & greedy plan of our government to develop 500 000 hectares of sugar cane plantation across this region. Please stand in solidarity with us to SAVE ARU ISLANDS by signing the Avaaz petition and supporting the movement.
New underwater hotel room with a view
Sealux releases housing for Canon XA20/XA25
Sealux has announced their new housing for the Canon HF G30, XA20 and XA25 cameras. The housing has a 4.3” rear mounted monitor and push buttons controlling all available camera options. The housing is supplied with a built-in close-up lens and color correction filter.
New titles from New World Publications
New World Publications has massively updated two of their seminal reference books about Reef Creatures and Reef Coral Identification for Florida, the Caribbean and Bahamas. Both new books have had significant numbers of new species added.
Teaser: Sea of Love humpback footage
Nauticam releases Super Macro Conversion lens
During the DEMA show last week, Nauticam were exhibiting a new Super Macro Conversion lens (SMC). The SMC utilises low dispersion optical grade glass lenses, specifically deigned and made for underwater use and gives a magnification factor of 2.3x. The minimum focus distance when using the lens is 50mm when used with a 105mm or 100mm lens
Final call: Ocean Art 2013
The 2013 Ocean Art contest’s deadline for submissions is 14 November at 11:59 PST. Late entries will be accepted up until 17 November, however, the price for each entry rises to $12/photo.
Typhoon relief plea for the Philippines
Typhoon Haiyan wreaked havoc in many parts of the Philippines, leaving thousands homeless and without food or electricity. The death toll is in the thousands. As underwater photographers, the Philippines is a popular destination and we’ve benefitted from the beauty and hospitality of the Filipinos. Right now, the Filipinos need our help to survive and rebuild. Please donate what you can to help those affected. The list of donor agencies are listed in the forum thread.
- Scientific American: The effects of climate change on coral reefs (via )
- Apple updates Aperture to version 3.4.5 (via )
- Great Barrier Reef Youtube live event now! (via )
- MBARI publishes study of seafloor trash (via )
- Canon EOS M update due by end of June (via )
- Graphene used to produce super sensitive camera sensor (via )
- Fisherman receiving backlash for mako shark catch off CA (via )
- Whale deaths to be minimized as shipping lanes moved (via )
- DIVE magazine’s June issue is available to download (via )
- Issue 27 of African Diver is now available to download (via African Diver)