Amazing images of sea butterflies
The Smithsonian Collage of Arts and Sciences blog has published a photographic study of sea butterflies or pteropods by zoologist Karen Osborne. She and her fellow researchers are capturing the animals by hand while on scuba in the Pacific Ocean off the coasts of Mexico and California and then bringing them back to the research ship and photographing them in a shallow tank of clear water.
Ikelite announces its housing for the LUMIX GH3
Ikelite has launched its Smart Housing for the Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Mirrorless Micro Four Thirds camera. This represents a departure for the company as it is its first housing for a mirrorless or EVIL camera. The housing is immediately recognizable as an Ikelite and shares the TTL flash control and polycarbonate design of its siblings, but also moves the video and AF lock controls onto the side of the housing for thumb activation.
Review: UK Aqualite eLED video lights
Wetpixel Editor Adam Hanlon reviews the Underwater Kinetics Aqualite eLED video lights. Although light, compact and well made, he finds that the light’s output means that they may be of limited use, especially with POV cams like the GoPro and Sony AS-15 Actioncam.
Video: Howard Hall’s Leviathan
Filmmaker Howard Hall has posted a short film of footage of humpback whales (Megaptera novaeangliae) captured at Vavau’u, Tonga. Howard cites the help of Whale Watch Vava’u and Endangered Encounters in getting the encounters necessary for the film.. The images were captured with a RED Epic and a Tokina 10-17mm lens in 5K resolution.
Interview with Clark Little: “I love getting thrashed”
Nauticam releases its housing for the GH3
Nauticam has finally officially released their housing for the Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3. The NA-GH3 was first spotted on the Nauticam China website, and was exhibited at the NAB show. Since then there have queries about the launch date on the forum. Nauticam USA has now confirmed that it will be shipping from 27 May at a US retail price of $2250.
Canon announces X-Series-look Picture Control
Canon UK has announced the availability of a new Picture Style for its EOS SLR cameras. The Video Camera X-series-look is actually a video or still in-camera preset that mimics the look of the company’s X-series camcorders, with lowered color saturation and contrast levels.
Magic Lantern offers RAW recording to EOS 5D Mk III
Magic Lantern has released a continuous raw recording mode for its hack to the Canon 5D Mark III’s firmware. In testing, the camera has been outputting a 1928x850 recording at 24fps. This gives a continuous recording at a data rate to the card of 90MB/s.
- DxOMark scores lenses for Nikon D800. Nikon 16-35mm f4 rated… (via )
- Canon Singapore offers a try before you buy scheme for EF and… (via )
- Amazing image of an tardigrade extremophile (or water bear) (via BBC)
- Adobe suggests customers should fly to the US to get better… (via )
- Possibly the strangest camera review ever! The Fuji x100 walks… (via )
- CNN: Overfished and under-protected; oceans on the brink of… (via )
- DeepX and 3Deep housings nominated for best innovations in film… (via )
- Nikon posts care instruction for Nikon 1 underwater housings (via )
- Fstoppers posts about the art of Lightroom catalog management (via )
- Adobe to stop shipping boxed software from 30 April 2013,… (via )