Photographing humpback whales in Tonga: Pete Atkinson
Water Column turns 50
BS Kinetics announces support for Blackmagic Blackmagic Production Camera
BS Kinetics has announced that they plan to support the Blackmagic Production Camera. Using their trademark carbon fiber construction, the new housing is compact and lightweight, and offers support for a variety of lenses, including manual focus and zoom control. All camera functions can be controlled underwater.
Inon announces the LF1000-S light
Inon has announced the release of their LF1000-S light. It outputs 1000 lumen with a 30°coverage and has two power settings. Power is provided by 3 x AA batteries, which give a burn time of 50 minutes at full power and there are a range of accessories available including mounting brackets.
Video: The kelp beds of the Tasman Peninsula
Over 97 percent of kelp forest stalks have disappeared in the last twenty years along the east coast of Tasmania. A combination of many factors, including wind and currents, has led to the decline. The Wild Australia video investigates the decline. (Photo from Shutterstock)
Save Our Seas launches conservation photography grant
Image: Shadi Samara’s lionfish
Final call: British Wildlife Photographer Awards
The British Wildlife Photographer Awards (BWPA) are making a final call for entries for their 2014 contest. Categories include “Marine and Coast”, and in previous years, underwater photographers have done well in the “Animal Portraits” category too. Entries must have been taken in the United Kingdom.
- Issue 74 of UwP magazine is now available to download (via )
- New species of walking sharks discovered in Indonesia (via )
- Nat Geo photographer on assignment with cellphone (via )
- Issue 28 of African Diver available to download (via African Diver)
- Deep sea squid mystery solved (via )
- Wounded great white shark heals surprisingly fast (via )
- Pegasus thruster and Brandon Cole interview (via )
- The reason Richard Branson wants to save sharks (via )
- September is debris month of action (via )
- Ansel Adams’ BBC interview on Youtube (via )