UPY 2016 results announced
The Underwater Photographer of the Year (UPY)contest has released the results of its 2016 contest. Overall winner was Davide Lopresti with his image of a spiny seahorse. Dan Bolt took the prize for the best image from the UK, Pier Mane the best upcoming photographer and Mary Engels Dunmore the most promising UK photographer. Hearty congratulations to all those in the placings.
Alien Skin updates Exposure X
Techart announces AF converter for MF lenses
Techart has launched a converter that allows the use of lenses without a focusing motor to be autofocused. Initially for Leica M lenses on Sony e mount cameras, the Techart Pro has a motor moves the lens’s focal plane away from or towards the subject. The amount of movement is controlled by the camera’s autofocus control.
Borneo from Below: Episode 26
This week features episode 26 of Borneo from Below and Borneo’s answer to Lembeh Strait. The Semporna Straits are mucky and heavy with boat traffic, but boast some of the best critter diving around Borneo. Semporna is an underwater photographers dream of small fish, nudibranchs, flamboyant cuttlefish, sea snakes and more.
Europe’s first underwater sculpture garden in place
Jason deCaires Taylor, known for his underwater sculptures, has unveiled his latest project off Lanzarote in Europe. The sculptures, which are casts of real people, feature refugees, and figures walking towards a fence, not paying attention. The pieces are collectively known as the Rubicon installation.
Video: Feather Duster Worms Emerge
In Earth Touch’s Wild Oceans channel, Mark Thorpe has captured some lovely footage of feather duster worms (Sabellidae sp.) emerging from their tubes in order to feed. The worms have a plume of feeding appendages known as radioles that capture plankton in the water around the animal.
Bull Sharks of Jupiter by Alan Egan
Mini tutorial: Lightroom Auto Advance
Adobe’s Lightroom Coffee Breaks mini tutorial series has featured an episode about “Rating Photos with Auto Advance”. If the caps lock key is on while adding star ratings, color labels or flags, the app auto advances through the images in the selected folder.
- Freediver catches 70 pound lobster, names him Albert Girther,… (via )
- Documentary follows the film restoration of JAWS (via )
- High ISO Comparison: Nikon D750 Vs. D810 Vs. 7D Mark II Vs. 5D… (via )
- A day in the life of underwater photographers Tina Terras and… (via )
- Steve-O cited for Sea World sign prank (via )
- Apple updates Final Cut Pro X to 10.1.4 (via )
- Issue 17 of Anima Mundi magazine is now available for download (via )
- Adobe releases Lightroom 5.7 and Camera RAW 8.7 (via )
- Apple updates Camera RAW compatibility to 6.1 (via )
- Photoshelter updates the CF/SD/XQD card database (via )