Underwater Photographer of the Year 2015 open for entries
The 2015 Underwater Photographer of the Year (UPY) contest is now open and calling for entries. The contest will award a best of show prize called “Underwater Photographer of the Year” as well as a prize for the “British Underwater Photographer of the Year” and the “Most Promising British Underwater Photographer of the Year”. The closing date for entries is 5 January 2015, with category winners announced and prizes handed out on the PhotoZone stage at the London International Dive Show on 14 February 2015.
DxO releases OpticsPro 10
DxO has announced an upgrade to their OpticsPro image processing software. Version 10 features a “haze reduction” tool called ClearView, which could be an interesting tool underwater, as well as an upgraded version of their PRIME noise reduction process. OpticsPro 10 has improved its boot speed and will now also support DNG files, enhancing compatibility with Adobe’s products.
UW Photographer Elena Kalis’ images of her daughter
Fstoppers reviews the Fotodiox Tough E-Mount
All Sony E-Mount cameras (apart from the a7S) are fitted with a 2 piece plastic and metal mount, which wears over time, causing “wobble” in lenses. Photodiode has recently released an aftermarket metal mount that can be fitted to Sony cameras. Fstoppers has published comprehensive review and guide to both the replacement of the stock mount with the Fotodiox one and to its subsequent performance. (Image from Fstoppers).
Announcing the second Anilao Underwater Photo Festival
Video: Parrotfish life cycle
short animated video made by the University of Queensland explaining the life cycle of the rainbow parrot fish (Scarus guacamaia) has been posted on YouTube by Catlin Seaview Survey. For those of us wondering what is the difference between initial and terminal phase or what polychromatism is, this is an excellent tutorial!
Update: Nju Nikonos Conversion System
Owner Andrej Belic provides an update for his Nju conversion process that allows Nikonos RS lenses to be used with Nikon digital SLR cameras and conventional housings. He currently offers support for Nikonos 13mm, 28mm, 20-35mm, and 50mm lenses in a wide variety of housings.
INON announces compatibility updates and fiber optic connector
- Canon USA releases guide to AF on 7D Mark II (PDF) (via )
- Blue whale populations off California near historic levels (via )
- Woman pays tribute to departed fiance with uw photo shoot (via )
- Leonardo DiCaprio’s 2014 UN climate speech (via )
- Scuba diver stays underwater for 51 hours breaks world record (via )
- ARRI unveils 6.5K sensor Alexa 65 (via )
- Issue 29 of African Diver is now available (via )
- Tangled manta ray cut free by divers in Costa Rica (via )
- Nikon updates Capture NX-D and other software (via )
- Split of iguana NG photo of the day by Lorenzo Mittiga (via )