Reports from Aquarius: Mission 31 updates
Video: Lake Baikal by Alex Benedik
Video and details on Benjamin Von Wong’s shipwreck shoot
Video: Manta Ray in 6K
[Ron Lagerlof]9http://vimeo.com/ronlagerlof) has shared some footage that he has shot for stock with Mammoth HD that has been shot in full 6K resolution on the RED EPIC Dragon. The video features giant Pacific mantas rays (Manta birostris) with clarion angelfish (Holacanthus clarionensis) cleaners. The footage was captured at The Canyon, Isla San Benedicto, Mexico.
Call for protection of the Pitcairn Islands
The BBC reports that researchers are calling for the protection of the marine environment around the mid-Pacific Pitcairn Islands. An international team of scientists have stated that the waters around the islands have “unique global value that is irreplaceable”, and that of the fish species found, about half were endemic. (Image from Shutterstock).
Expedition seeks to decode sperm whale vocalizations
Canon updates Digital Photo Professional
Apple to stop development of Aperture
Apple has announced that with the release of its new OS later this summer, it will discontinue development of its photo editing app Aperture. It will be replaced in the new OS by an app called Photos, which will also enlace iPhoto. Apple have stated that there will be a migration path for Aperture users to Photos, although as the later seems to be largely cloud based, this may be challenge for those with big libraries.
- Shutdown threatens oceanographic research (via )
- Nikon D610 officially announced (via )
- Montserrat: An island abandoned and reclaimed by nature (via )
- Sponges allow corals to thrive in marine deserts (via BBC)
- New free Lightroom Quick Start guide available to download (via )
- Sixty new species discovered in Suriname (via )
- National Geographic photography issue (via )
- Dolphin deaths on east coast and morbiliivirus (via )
- Adobe servers hacked (via )
- This is what a beach covered in walruses looks like (via )