ADEX 2013 show report
This year’s Asian Dive Expo was held from 19 to 22 April at the Sands Convention Center, Singapore. Wetpixel was on hand to cover the latest in underwater imaging, and the show did not disappoint. There were quite a lot of new housings with a focus on the big cameras. The Arri Alexa, Red Epic/Scarlet, Sony F55 all had housings, even the Leica S3 had a housing. It was a rather exciting show for videographers. Read on to see exclusive pictures of the latest housings.
Fantasea announces the FG15 housing
Fantasea has announced the release of their FG15 housing for the Canon Powershot G15 compact camera. This is designed to have better ergonomics and features than that of the Canon WP-DC48 housing and to this end has fiber optic ports, dedicated control for video functions and compatibility with a range of accessories.
Panasonic announces the G6 mirrorless camera
Panasonic has released the DMC-G6 mirrorless camera. It features a 16.05-megapixel Digital Live MOS with a new Venus image processing engine that, the manufacturer claims, provides a reduction in noise. It will record video at 1920 x 1080, 60p/50p and utilises a high-speed contrast AF system.
Shawn Heinrichs captures epic battle between orcas and sperm whales
Call for entries: University of Miami RSMAS underwater photo contest
The University of Miami’s Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science is accepting submissions for their Annual Underwater Photography Contest, now through 17 May. Winners of the five categories, Fish or Marine Animal Portrait, Macro, Wide Angle, UM Student, and Best Overall, will be displayed in a traveling exhibit throughout southern Florida.
The REEL Story: Seafood traceability program in Washington D.C.
Inspired by a sketch from the TV series Portlandia, Black Restaurant Group and Congressional Seafood Co. in Washington D.C. have launched a QR coded seafood traceability program in all of their restaurants and plan to expand to more locations in the near future.
Happy Earth Day
Wishing the Wetpixel community a happy Earth Day! Whatever you are doing today, we hope that some part of it is for the good of the earth.
Sea & Sea announce MDX-6D housing
Sea & Sea has announced the imminent release of their housing for the Canon EOS 6D SLR. The MDX-6D is made from black anodized aluminum alloy and gives access to almost all of the camera’s essential underwater functions (except Depth-of-Field Preview button). Sea & Sea’s YS Converter/C can now be built into the MDX-6D housing by dealers.
- First images and specs of Canon EOS Kiss X7 SLR (via )
- A new study shows that stressed corals fluoresce less when… (via )
- New restrictions affect Hong Kong shark fin traders (via )
- Dr. Sylvia Earle speaks on “Quest for Sustainable Seas” at UC… (via )
- Manta trade proves that no species is safe from burgeoning… (via )
- Hundreds of sea lion pups wash ashore in California (via )
- Nikon repairs salt damaged lens by boiling it (via )
- Ocean plankton soaks up more than twice the carbon previously… (via )
- NCUPS’s SEA underwater photo and video competition is accepting… (via )
- In the forum: Dive the World Magazine closes down (via )