Results of Our World Underwater 2016 announced
The results of the 2016 Our World Underwater imaging contest have been announced. The stunning winning images and videos were selected from thousands of entries from around the globe. Congratulations to Fabien Michenet for his amazing image that was awarded best of Show, and to all the other winners. The winners will share a prize purse of $55,000.
Call for entries: Canary Islands Dive Photo Challenge
The Canary Islands has launched their first online underwater photo contest. In order to participate, entrants must submit images taken at any time in the “sea beds of the Canary Islands.” There are Pro and Amateur classes and categories for Portfolios, Diving, Wildlife, Wide-Angle and Macro. The contest runs from 18 December through to 19 May 2016 and there are cash prizes for the winning entries.
Video: Big Wave Surfing by Aaron Eveland
Sony announces PXW-Z150 4K camcorder
Sony has announced the PXW-Z150 4K camcorder. It features a 1” stacked CMOS sensor which provides “clear, sharp pictures in extreme low-light conditions”. Output is available in 4K at 100Mbps and HD at frame rates of up to 120fps. Remote operation is available via wifi and internal recording is to two SC card slots.
Icelandic fin whale hunt cancelled
According to the Icelandic Monitor, the operators of the annual Icelandic fin whale (Balaenoptera physalus) hunt have cancelled their hunt planned for summer 2016. The company that carries out the hunt, Hvalur, exports the whale meat to Japan and claims that the way it is tested by the Japanese means the hunt is not viable. Photo from Shutterstock.
Final Call: Wildlife Photographer of the Year 2016
Final call: DEEP Indonesia 2016
DEEP Indonesia, one of the world’s most prestigious underwater photography contest will close for entries at 11:59pm (Pacific Time) on 25 February. You have just over one more day to enter and try to win some of the over $100,000 worth of prizes that are on offer in the UnderwaterCompetition.com series.
Video: Earth Touch Wild Oceans
- Sports Illustrated has laid off all staff photographers (via )
- Your favorite underwater Instagram photos into temporary tattoos (via )
- Shutterstock acquires Rex features for $33M (via )
- When icebergs flip, they are a brilliant blue color (via )
- Prehistoric marine reptile fossil discovered in Scotland (via )
- Issue 82 of Underwater Photography magazine is available to… (via )
- Nikon confirms banding issue with D750 (via )
- Dissecting the Lightroom and Photoshop workflow. (via )
- Adobe offers tutorials on PS and LR workflows (via )
- Apple adds RAW Compatibility update 6.02 (via )