Video: Tagging Giants of the Deep
Secrets of the narwhal’s tusk revealed
The function of the curious unicorn-like tusk of the Narwhal (Monodon monoceros) has long been a puzzle to researchers. However, a researcher from the Harvard School of Dental Medicine is to present a paper about the tooth’s function at the 16th Biennial Conference on the Biology of Marine Mammals, writes the Harvard Gazette.
Quartz claims that China is under reporting its fish catches
Quartz has claimed that China is dramatically under reporting what it takes from the world’s oceans. It submits an average annual catch total of 368,000 tons per year to the UN Food and Agriculture Organization, while the European Parliament has recently put the figure at 4.6 million tons.
New product: Olympus PEN EP-5 mirrorless camera
Olympus has announced the release of a new flagship model in their PEN mirrorless range. The EP-5 features “Advanced 5-Axis Image Stabilization”, “high-speed response FAST AF” and 1/8000s maximum shutter speed. Controls can be accessed via a new “2x2 Dial Control” with a control lever which may help accessing functions in a housing and the VF-4 viewfinder is now detachable.
Pierre Carreau’s frozen wave photography
Adobe creates a furore over its Creative Cloud plans
The Adobe MAX address on Monday focused on Adobe’s roadmap for the future regarding ownership of software. Their traditional distribution of software via bought versions has been abandoned and will be replaced almost entirely with a subscription based model. This has caused some outrage in the imaging community.
Call for entries: World ShootOut Junior category
The World ShootOut is calling for entries for their “Children of the World ShootOut” category. This is open to all young people aged between 7 to 14 years and images must have been taken whilst snorkeling or scuba diving with a compact camera in a housing or a waterproof compact camera.
Adobe MAX keynote available online
The Adobe MAX “Creativity Conference” is being held this week in Los Angeles. The event is likely to feature notable new product announcements including an exciting new Photoshop product that has been trailed and possibly the version of Lightroom for the iPad that was debuted by Tom Hogarty on Scott Kelby’s podcast last week.
- Camera lost at sea for six years is reunited with its owner (via )
- Thom Hogan reviews the Sony NEX-6 camera (via )
- DxOMark scores lenses for Nikon D800. Nikon 16-35mm f4 rated… (via )
- Canon Singapore offers a try before you buy scheme for EF and… (via )
- Amazing image of an tardigrade extremophile (or water bear) (via BBC)
- Adobe suggests customers should fly to the US to get better… (via )
- Possibly the strangest camera review ever! The Fuji x100 walks… (via )
- CNN: Overfished and under-protected; oceans on the brink of… (via )
- DeepX and 3Deep housings nominated for best innovations in film… (via )
- Nikon posts care instruction for Nikon 1 underwater housings (via )