Death by ctenophore on BlennyWatcher
Ned and Anna DeLoach of BlennyWatcher have been studying the feeding habits on benthic ctenophores during their recent trip to Indonesia. These creatures, related to comb jellies, were thought to be plankton feeders, but have now been shown to be active and voracious predators, feeding on crabs, fish and even tube worms. (Images by Ned DeLoach/BlennyWatcher.com).
Book: The Eye of the Whale
Author and illustrator Jennifer O’Connell has produced an illustrated book entitled The Eye of the Whale that tells the story of the remarkable rescue of a humpback whale entangled in line, as well as the whale’s remarkable and profound connection that it shared with its rescuers.
Red Giant launches beta of BulletProof
NG cover shot of James Cameron taken in a tank
When the June issue of National Geographic hits newsstands in a few days, readers will have a deeper view of James Cameron. At first glance the cover shot appears to be a standard underwater portrait. But the “Behind the Cover” story sheds some light on how it was captured.
How to print a life size photograph of a whale
Agony in a bowl: Amazing claymation video
13-year old Kyle Kelleher has produced a short claymation video to help bring awareness about the controversial delicacy of shark fin soup.
Flickr: “No such thing as professional photographers anymore”
Whilst announcing a redesign of Flickr, Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer claimed that the company wants “to make Flickr awesome again”. She went on to say that: “There’s no such thing as Flickr Pro today because [with so many people taking photographs] there’s really no such thing as professional photographers anymore,” although she acknowledged that there are photographers with “different skill levels”.
Google takes street view for a dive
TechCrunch has published an article about Google’s ongoing project to add “Street View” style imagery from the underwater realm. Google’s recent I/O conference included a presentation from the Catlin Seaview Survey team, and details have been made public of how the team’s imaging scooters create the underwater mapping.
- Lenovo releases monitor which displays 99% of Adobe RGB gamut (via )
- Nikon also updates D600 firmware to 1.01 (via )
- Nikon releases firmware version A1.01 for D800/D800E SLRs (via )
- UK government dilutes marine protection due to cash shortage (via BBC)
- Amazing gyro-stabilized 4K aerial footage from Teton Gravity (via )
- DIVE Magazine releases its free April digital issue (via )
- Underwater photography ban in Sipadan not confirmed yet (via )
- Indonesian government plans shark and manta fishing ban (via )
- Study shows stingrays learn from their peers (via )
- Firmware updates: Panasonic has released firmware version v.1.1… (via )