Tony Wu on trash
Study shows coral adapts to acidification
A team from the Woods Hole Institute has discovered a coral reef ecosystem that has adapted to very acidic water conditions in Nikko Bay, Palau. This gives hope that coral may be able to evolve to cope with effects of increasing acidification of the planet’s oceans. (Image from Shutterstock).
Image: Fish fireworks by Jennifer Penner
Happy New Year 2014
We hope that wherever you are and whatever you are doing, you are not like this “grumpy” stonefish (Synanceia verrucosa) and are enjoying the last day of 2013 or the first day of 2014. May your celebrations be joyous and we fervently hope that 2014 brings you safe diving and and amazing photographic opportunities.
Gates announces DEEP DRAGON
Gates Underwater Products has announced the release of their housing for the RED EPIC DRAGON digital cinema camera. The Gates DEEP DRAGON features a housing for the RED PRO external monitor and uses the REDMOTE remote control to give access to all camera controls. In addition, it can be supplied with integrated tripod legs, an extended monitor shade and a light bar to attach light arms.
Upgrade guide: Final Cut Pro 10.1
As announced and discussed on the Wetpixel forums, Apple released a long-awaited update to Final Cut Pro X (FCPX) just before Christmas. Version 10.1 is a free update for those that have already purchased the App, and is available via the App Store or via the Apple FCP support pages.
Guam’s Hidden Treasures book available
UW robot cameras disguised as sea creatures
Wildlife filmmaker John Downer has a new wildlife documentary series titled Dolphins: Spy in the Pod. The series not only promises never before filmed behavior, but also employs underwater robotic cameras disguised as sea creatures.
- First shark fin citation given to Chicago restaurant (via )
- European algae biofuel project moves forward (via )
- Dead dolphins washing ashore on east coast (via )
- EOS 70D preview and images (via )
- Hunting octopus on Scuba banned in Puget sound (via )
- Shark Week: Good or Bad for Sharks? (via )
- Fracking offshore and underwater now too? (via )
- Yes, it is Shark Week (via )
- Tips to become the ultimate travel photographer (via )
- How FB connects shark attack survivors that advocate for sharks (via )