Wetpixel Komodo 2014: Last few spaces available
The 2014 Wetpixel Komodo Expedition is almost sold out! The trip will take in some of the least dived sites in the southern Komodo National Park, which offer a fantastic mix of healthy coral reefs, lots of fish and interesting macro life. In February and March, the waters in the south are clear and warm, offering great conditions for productive underwater photography.
Ikelite releases torch mounting options
Ikelite has released a series of mounting kits for their Gamma LED lights. These allow them to be attached to the cold shoes on housings, or to be attached to the handles on Ikelite camera trays via 1” ball or locline mountings.
Untamed Americas receives Emmy Award
The National Geographic series, Untamed Americas, received an Emmy Award for “Outstanding Cinematography” last night. Hearty congratulations to underwater filmmaker and Wetpixel Moderator Shawn Heinrichs as well as Wetpixel contributors Andy Brandy Casagrande (ABC) and Cristian Dimitrius who were all a part of the team of talented individuals that were involved in its creation.
Great White Sharks feed on whale carcass: Video
GoPro releases the HERO3+
G Pro has announced an update to its HERO3 POV cams. The HERO3+ is available in two versions, Black and Silver. Both are smaller and lighter. The former has a 30% increase in battery life, a new sharper lens, a super wide-angle mode and an auto low light mode. The Silver gets 1080p60 and 720p120 capture modes and a faster processor.
Study shows the power of computational lens corrections
Video: Nudibranchs and Sea slugs of Guam part two
Image: Dragging the Shutter by John Chandler
John Chandler posted this image on the Wetpixel Facebook group. It is perhaps a salutary reminder that good technique can often create images when ambient conditions make this difficult or impossible to do conventionally. John entitled the image “Dragging the Shutter” which is also how he managed to capture it.
- Sylvia Earle’s latest blog post on Huffington Post Green (via )
- UW photos of Bryde’s whale in full balloon mode (via )
- Coca Rocha talks about using moving cinemagraphs (via )
- David duChemin on being more creative (via )
- The Daily Mail features the results of DEEP Indonesia (via )
- Windows adds raw support for 22 cameras (via )
- Apple updates its Digital Camera Raw compatibility to 4.06 (via )
- Olympus releases firmware updates for OMD and PEN cameras (via )
- Brunei institutes Asia’s first nationwide shark fin ban (via )
- Chagos marine park in Indian Ocean ruled lawful (via BBC)