Book Review: Nudibranch and Sea Slug Identification - Indo-Pacific
Wetpixel reviews NewWorld Publication’s definitive new opisthobranch ID book: Nudibranch and Sea Slug Identification - Indo-Pacific by Terrence Gosliner, Ángel Valdés and David Behrens. The book offers images and description of 1,953 differs species, providing an amazing amount of information on the identity and habits of one of the macro photographer’s favorite subjects.
Sony reveals the RX1R II
Sony has announced the RX1R II full frame compact compact camera. It utilizes a back-illuminated 42.4 MP sensor with a variable optical low pass filter. Native ISO range is 100 to 25600 and output is via 14 bit RAW images. AF is using the company’s Fast Hybrid technology, incorporating both phase and contrast detection while the lens is a fixed 35mm Zeiss Sonnar f2.
Results of WPOTY 2015 announced
The results of the 2015 Wildlife Photographer of the Year (WPOTY) contest were unveiled during a ceremony at London’s Natural History Museum last night. In the Under Water category Michael Aw achieved first place with is image of a Bryde’s whale feeding on sardines during the sardine run.
Borneo from Below: Coral in crisis
Video: Earth Touch mating seahorses
Apple adds 4K support to iMovie
Canon announces two PowerShot compact cameras
Canon has announced the G5 X and G9 X compact cameras. Both feature a 1” 20.2 megapixel sensor giving a native ISO range of 125 to 12,800 and can record 1080p video at 24p, 30p and 60p. The G5 X has a 24-100mm (equivalent) zoom lens, while the G9 X has a 28-84mm. Controls on the G5 X include front and rear control dials and a lens mounted control ring, while the G9 X has touch screen control with a lens control dial only.
The Goliath Diaries by Alan C Egan
Underwater photographer Alan C Egan has volunteered to write a series of posts about diving the goliath grouper aggregation off Boynton Beach, Florida this year. Large numbers of goliath groupers (Epinephelus itajara) gather to form spawning aggregations, with up to 100 individuals at any one site. Given that the fish can reach up to 455kg (800lbs) and over 3m (6 ft 6”), it is an amazing spectacle. He will be updating his reports as he carries out dives, so please keep checking back.
- Go diving in Nevada before or after DEMA this year (via )
- Oceana study shows one-third of shrimp sold is mislabeled (via )
- Gordon Laing reviews the Panasonic LX100 4K compact (via )
- Great White Sharks NG photo of the day by Marc Henauer (via )
- Sea lion attacks scuba diver (via )
- Napolean Wrasse by Christian Miller NG photo of the day (via )
- Kickstarter funded Pronto charges camera batteries 12x faster (via )
- Delkin debuts most rugged SD cards that are virtually… (via )
- Nikon updates Capture NX-D and View NX (via )
- New lithium batteries have lifespan of over 20 years (via )