Final call: DEEP Indonesia 2014
If you are planning to enter the 2014 DEEP Indonesia contest, your entries need to have been submitted by Monday, 10 March 11:59PM PST. That’s today folks!
Video: Drone captures aerials of dolphin super pod
Captain Dave Anderson has posted a 5-minute video, shot with a DJI Phantom 2 quadcopter equipped with a GoPro HERO3 Black camera, that features a super pod of common dolphins (Delphinus delphis) stampeding off Dana Point, California, three gray whales (Eschrichtius robustus) migrating together down the coast off San Clemente, California and close-ups of a newborn humpback whale (Megaptera novaeangliae) calf.
Video: Water Breathing Dragon
Divers find cavern in Japan’s longest cave
In Southwestern Japan, within the Inazumi Underwater Stalactite Cave, Hitoshi Miho lead a team of divers 300 meters farther into the cave than ever before. There they found a large cavern with an air pocket.
Interview: Alex Mustard at the Natural History Museum
Wetpixel Associate Editor Alex Mustard was interviewed by Charlotte Coales in January about his underwater photography and his winning images in the 2013 Wildlife Photographer Of The Year competition. The presentation was a question and answer session held in the Attenborough Studio at the Natural History Museum, London.
Reminder: DEEP Indonesia 2014
If you haven’t done so yet, just a reminder that you have 4 days left to enter the 2014 DEEP Indonesia Contest. Hosted by Wetpixel and DivePhotoGuide, DEEP is, together with Our World Underwater, the pinnacle of underwater competitions.
Coral reefs come to life in underwater time lapse video
Underwater time lapse photography can tell scientists a lot about what happens on a coral reef. Over the past five years Dr. Pim Bongaerts of the University of Queensland’s Global Change Institute has used time lapse photography to document coral reefs.
Bluefin Tuna underwater by Brian Skerry
- National Geographic photography issue (via )
- Dolphin deaths on east coast and morbiliivirus (via )
- Adobe servers hacked (via )
- This is what a beach covered in walruses looks like (via )
- Nick Brandt’s new book of calcified animals (via )
- How to remove people and cars from your time-lapse (via )
- Scientists warn that ocean conservation efforts may be misplaced (via BBC)
- Researchers develop miniature wide-angle lens (via )
- October issue of DIVE magazine now available to download (via )
- Fluid filled lens mimics traits of human vision (via )