Video: Chris Burkard at TED
Gizmodo features deep fish collecting
Norbert Wu’s Favorite Images: My first photographs
In those week’s episode of underwater photographer Norbert Wu’s favorite images column, he tells the story of how he came to be an underwater photographer, and shows us some of the first images he took. They were shot with a Nikonos IV and feature macro images of a spotjaw blenny (Acanthemblemaria rivasi).
Photographer on getting underwater photos published by National Geographic
When Carter Warden first started his Flickr page, it was more for a place to back up and display the thousands of underwater images he took in and around Tennessee. That’s why he was surprised when a National Geographic researcher contacted him about using two of his images for an upcoming project.
Video: Basking sharks filmed from air off Gloucester
Sightings of basking sharks off the coast of Gloucester, Massachusetts are common this time of year, but not many people get to see them. Last friday local resident and drone enthusiast Martin Del Vecchio got a tip from a friend that basking sharks were right offshore. He headed down to the shoreline with his drone and captured some amazing footage of two large basking sharks gently cruising offshore.
Video: Corals, clear waters and cruising fish
Earth Touch’s Wild Oceans channel features footage from Andiamo in Indonesia shot by Wetpixel Moderator Mike Veitch. It features large schools of fish, from hundreds of yellow-spotted fusiliers (Caesio teres) to cruising batfish and a school of convict blennies (Pholidichthys leucotaenia) hovering close to the reef. Beautifully coloured soft corals, sponges and amazing sea fans decorate the sea floor.
Sealux announces housing for Sony PXW-X70
Ikelite ships dome diffusers
Ikelite has announced a dome diffuser for their DS161, DS160 and DS125 strobes. The diffusers increase and soften the spread of the beam, while the material has a high transmissivity which allows the strobes’ full output through. The strobes’ color temperature is unchanged at around 4800°K when the diffusers are used.
- Shark week is more dangerous than sharks (via )
- NG photo of the day by Mike Korostolev (via )
- World’s fastest camera shoots at 4.4 trillion frames per… (via )
- Australian humpback dolphin is world’s newest dolphin… (via )
- Baby whale saved from Australian shark net (via )
- Showing sharks in a positive light by George Probst (via )
- Apple expands OS X Mavericks raw support (via )
- Photographer Michael Muller takes over Discovery Instagram for… (via )
- NG photo of the day by Sandro Lonardi (via )
- Nikon settles D600 lawsuit with free D610’s (via )