Amphibico announces housing for Blackmagic Pocket camera
Amphibico has released details of their Pocket Buddy housing for the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera. It provides full access to all camera controls accessible from the housing’s grips which are angled at 15°. Aquatica will also be offering a battery pack for extended use underwater, as well as a vacuum leak detection system and multiple handle and light mounting options.
Video: Octopus snags camera rig (almost)
Divers Warren Murray and David Malvestuto encountered a Giant Pacific Octopus in Point Lobos at Bluefish Cove who apparently wanted to get ahold of an underwater camera set-up.
Douglas Seifert’s illustrated notes from the field: Part 4
A somewhat delayed posting of the fourth instalment of Douglas Seifert’s series of illustrated notes from the field. The “Jetties of South Australia” expedition has been diving on the jetties and has found the main objects of the trip: Leafy sea dragons (Phycodurus eques) and Striped Pyjama Squid (Sepioloidea lineolata).
Image: Riding the Waves by Ellen Cuylaerts
DEEP Indonesia 2014 Competition Announced
The prestigious DEEP Indonesia International Underwater Photo Competition is now open for entries until March 10, 2014. DEEP Indonesia is hosted by Wetpixel and Divephotoguide.
University of Miami UW Photo Contest Announced
The University of Miami Rosenstiel School of Marine & Atmospheric Science is now accepting entries for its annual Underwater Photography Contest. The deadline for submitting images is midnight on Friday, March 7, 2014.
Beneath the Sea 2014 Winners Announced
Beneath The Sea has announced the winners of The BTS 2014 International Imaging Competition. Congratulations to all the winners, which include many from the Wetpixel community.
Bust of world’s largest whale shark processing factory
One of the largest whale shark processing factories in the world was recently uncovered in PuQi, China. Factory manager Mr. Li Guang admitted to processing more than 600 whale sharks a year at his factory. Whale sharks are listed as an endangered species.
- High speed liquid photography (via )
- Hawaii criticizes WA shark cull (via )
- 1956 message in a bottle from oceanographer just found (via )
- MV Kalabia - the floating classroom in Raja Ampat (via )
- New jellyfish species washes ashore in Tasmania (via )
- First fish removed from endangered species list (via )
- New JPG format rivals RAW for quality (via )
- Nikon looking at 4K video on its SLR cameras (via )
- The Japan Times questions the legitimacy of the Taji dolphin… (via )
- The February 2014 issue of DIVE magazine is available to download (via )