Image: Got It by Christian Miller
Swedish warship Mars discovered after 450 years
The Swedish warship Mars was the largest at the time when it sank in 1564 until being discovered in 2011 by Richard Lundgren, Ingemar Lundgren and Fredrik Skogh after a 20-year search. What makes this ship so unique is how well preserved it is.
Video: Cristian Dimitrius at work
The Digital Shootout 2014
The annual Digital Shootout, now in its thirteenth year, took place from 13 to 20 June 2014, at Little Cayman Beach Resort, Little Cayman. The event attracted 80 underwater photographers, to “a boot camp with benefits for underwater image-makers, full of camaraderie amongst like-minded underwater photographers.”
Autofocus testing with Panasonic GH4
No Take Two by Pawel Achtel
Wildlife film maker and innovator Pawel Achtel has shared his thoughts about his recent experiences filming for this forthcoming 3D IMAX film, Sea of Love. He illustrates the dedication patience and background knowledge necessary to wait in the right place, at the right time to capture coral spawning. He then contrasts this to the hurly burly of capturing footage of the breeding fish aggregations in the wild currents of Palau.
Major report points to overfishing for Caribbean coral reef decline
A recent major report, Status and Trends of Caribbean Coral Reefs, from the Global Coral Reef Monitoring Network (GCRMN), the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN), and the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) was published pointing to overfishing as the culprit of Caribbean coral reef decline. The report included data that spanned Caribbean coral reef data from over 40 years and was analyzed by 90 experts over the course of 3 years.
Video: Comb Jellyfish and Pleurobranchia by Frazier Nivens
- Great whites live twice as long as originally though (via )
- New study highlights fluorescence in fish (via )
- Canon updates EOS-1D X firmware (via )
- Underwater images of synchronized swimmers (via )
- LaCie announces 4K external hard drive (via )
- Underwater polar bear by Paul Souders (via )
- First bluefin tuna sold in Japan in 2014 goes for 70k (via )
- Crab grabs GoPro (via )
- Something’s fishy with SeaWorld’s blackfish poll (via )
- Issue 58 of X-Ray magazine available to download (via )