Seacam announces their academy
ICJ rules in favour of whales
The BBC reports that the International Court of Justice (ICJ) has ruled that Japan’s annual Southern Ocean whale hunt is primarily a commercial undertaking, rather than a scientific one. In addition, the ICJ has ordered a temporary halt to the whaling program. (Image credit to wdeon / Shutterstock.com)
Behind the Shot: Seek by Nina Baxa
Nina Baxa has shared a stunning shot of a Spotted Eagle Ray on Wetpixel’s Facebook page. The image was very popular on Facebook. Here she shares how she got the shot.
Video: Slow Life by Daniel Stoupin
Paper shows that sea snakes dehydrate at sea
Wetpixel/Scubacam ADEX Party 2014
The annual ADEX show is being held at the Marina Bay Sands Hotel, Singapore from 11 to 13 April. Wetpixel plans to be there reporting “live” from the show, and it is also the time for the Wetpixel/Scubacam Underwater Imaging party. Like its sibling at DEMA, the Wetpixel/Scubacam party is the place to meet and hang out with fellow underwater camera enthusiasts. This year, our party moves up 20 floors to ME@OUE, which overlooks the wonderful Marina Bay.
DeepPro releases GoPro housing
DeepPro has launched a new housing for GoPro HERO 3 and 3+ cameras. The GPH3 aluminum housing features a dome port that increases the GoPro’s in water field of view underwater to that of it at the surface and does not vignette even in Superwide mode. It also reduces the minimum focus distance to 6” and has bulkhead allowing for the use of an external monitor or recorder.
Divemaster game released
Wetpixel member Gyula Somogyi (Jules (Helioxfilm)) has released a new iOS and Android scuba diving game. It revolves around the work that a Divemaster has to do to look after a group of 8 divers who wish to take pictures of specific animals on the reef. Successfully guiding the divers results in tips, whilst if they are not looked after, the divers may get into difficulties.
- Rare Right Whale spotted in Victoria BC (via )
- Underwater Photography magazine issue 75 available to download (via )
- November issue of DIVE magazine available to download (via )
- Ze Frank’s true facts of the cuttlefish (via )
- Pacific ocean warming fastest in 10,000 years (via )
- New dolphin species discovered off Australia (via )
- Asian carp reproducing in Great Lakes (via )
- Lou Reed: Landscape photographer (via )
- Issue 57 of X-Ray magazine is now available to download (via )
- NG Photo of the Day by David Doubilet (via )