Video: Crab vs. methane vent
An ROV surveying methane vents at 4,130 ft as a part of Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute project around Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada, captured some amazing footage of a deep-sea crab “hunting” a vent.
Nikon: Mirrorless camera sales disappointing
The Blennywatcher Diary: August 2013
In the August instalment of The Blennywatcher Diary, Anna and Ned DeLoach report back on their recent trip to Utila, Honduras. Among other sightings, they recorded a Quillfin Blenny, Large-eye Toadfish and Yellow Jawfish. They also discuss hybridization and how species can be dispersed outside of their normal ranges by currents.
Amazon begins selling underwater fine art
Call for entries: Ocean Art 2013
The Ocean Art Photography Competition 2013 is now calling for entries. The competition has 12 categories, including a novice dSLR category and 3 compact camera categories as well as super macro, cold/temperate water, nudibranchs, and divers/fashion. Other more traditional categories include wide-angle, macro, marine life portraits, and marine life behavior.
Florida policeman stops traffic to save turtle hatchlings
Sarasota policeman Derek Conley was on patrol at 1 a.m. last Saturday when he found turtle hatchlings in a hotel parking lot. He and passers-by gathered them into a box and then released them into the water. The officer was forced to stop traffic several times in order to do so and he estimates that some 90-100 turtles were saved. (Image by Sarasota police)
Nauticam releases the NA-V2 housing
Nauticam has announced the release of their housing for the Nikon 1 V2 mirrorless camera. The housing features access to both the camera’s control dials, and a switch that allows the user to switch between LCD screen and EVF viewfinder. The camera’s built-in pop up flash can control TTL strobe output via fiber optic ports.
Image: Manta breach
- Think Tank launches the “About a Photography” video… (via )
- Issue 28 of the The Underwater Journal available to download (via )
- Basking sharks avoiding Scotland’s cooler waters (via )
- BBC revisits Final Cut Pro X (via )
- Canon produces its 90 millionth EF lens (via )
- Canon offers rebates on the EOS 5D, 6D and 7D SLRs (via )
- Pistol shrimp filmed in super slow motion (via )
- Canon EOS 50D shoots RAW video (via )
- Thom Hogan on the rumors of Olympus’s demise in 2014 (via )
- Vincent Laforet shoots RED 5K infra red with MoVI steadicam (via )