Sea Save Fundraising Auction closing soon - Dec 12th
Several bands cancel shows at Sea World because of Blackfish
Reminder: Ocean Views 2014
The annual Ocean Views contest, run jointly by DAN, Nature’s Best Photography and Wetpixel is closing for entries on 15 December. The contest is not judged in categories, in order to encourage a diverse variety of entries that depict life below, above, and around the ever-changing ocean surface.
Lemon sharks return to birthplace to give birth
Image: Nudibranch sex by William Tan
William Tab has shot this amazing and beautiful super macro image of, well, nudibranch sex! It shows the mating genitalia of two Nembrotha rutilans nudibranchs and was taken recently at Angel’s Window, Lembeh Strait, Indonesia.
An epic number of squid off Catalina
Underwater cinematographer Johnny Friday has shot some footage of squid in very large numbers off Catalina island, California.The images in his Flickr gallery were shot on the RED Epic at 5k. We can only imagine how incredible the footage shot with the EPIC Dragon sensor at 6k were.
Bite Back calendar on sale
UK based environmental charity Bite Back has released their 2014 calendar. This features underwater images donated by photographers like David Doubilet, Doug Perrine, Brian Skerry and David Fleetham. Funds from the calendar will go towards Bite-Back’s “Hacked Off!” campaign to make Britain’s restaurants shark fin-free.
Inon announces products for Canon G16 and S120 cameras
Inon has released new mount bases for the Canon S120 in the Canon WP-DC51 housing and the G16 in the WP-DC52 housing that gives both cameras compatibility with Inon’s macro and wide-angle conversion lenses.
- LensRentals ship Canon 5D IIIs with Magic Lantern firmware (via )
- Apple updates RAW compatibilty (via )
- Ex dolphin trainer now working to save them (via )
- Kodak bankruptcy plan approved (via )
- Real shark trivia is better than Shark Week (via )
- Stolen photo wins photo contest (via )
- First underwater video of apes swimming (via )
- Large numbers of dead dolphins on US East coast is a cause for… (via )
- Apple offers free repairs and upgrades to some 2011 iMacs (via )
- High-tech underwater imaging by the Scripps Institute (via )