Video: Tagging Giants of the Deep
Secrets of the narwhal’s tusk revealed
The function of the curious unicorn-like tusk of the Narwhal (Monodon monoceros) has long been a puzzle to researchers. However, a researcher from the Harvard School of Dental Medicine is to present a paper about the tooth’s function at the 16th Biennial Conference on the Biology of Marine Mammals, writes the Harvard Gazette.
Quartz claims that China is under reporting its fish catches
Quartz has claimed that China is dramatically under reporting what it takes from the world’s oceans. It submits an average annual catch total of 368,000 tons per year to the UN Food and Agriculture Organization, while the European Parliament has recently put the figure at 4.6 million tons.
New product: Olympus PEN EP-5 mirrorless camera
Olympus has announced the release of a new flagship model in their PEN mirrorless range. The EP-5 features “Advanced 5-Axis Image Stabilization”, “high-speed response FAST AF” and 1/8000s maximum shutter speed. Controls can be accessed via a new “2x2 Dial Control” with a control lever which may help accessing functions in a housing and the VF-4 viewfinder is now detachable.
Pierre Carreau’s frozen wave photography
Adobe creates a furore over its Creative Cloud plans
The Adobe MAX address on Monday focused on Adobe’s roadmap for the future regarding ownership of software. Their traditional distribution of software via bought versions has been abandoned and will be replaced almost entirely with a subscription based model. This has caused some outrage in the imaging community.
Call for entries: World ShootOut Junior category
The World ShootOut is calling for entries for their “Children of the World ShootOut” category. This is open to all young people aged between 7 to 14 years and images must have been taken whilst snorkeling or scuba diving with a compact camera in a housing or a waterproof compact camera.
Adobe MAX keynote available online
The Adobe MAX “Creativity Conference” is being held this week in Los Angeles. The event is likely to feature notable new product announcements including an exciting new Photoshop product that has been trailed and possibly the version of Lightroom for the iPad that was debuted by Tom Hogarty on Scott Kelby’s podcast last week.
- Yet more Nikon firmware updates: D3, D4, D7000, D3X, D3S and… (via )
- Lenovo releases monitor which displays 99% of Adobe RGB gamut (via )
- Nikon also updates D600 firmware to 1.01 (via )
- Nikon releases firmware version A1.01 for D800/D800E SLRs (via )
- UK government dilutes marine protection due to cash shortage (via BBC)
- Amazing gyro-stabilized 4K aerial footage from Teton Gravity (via )
- DIVE Magazine releases its free April digital issue (via )
- Underwater photography ban in Sipadan not confirmed yet (via )
- Indonesian government plans shark and manta fishing ban (via )
- Study shows stingrays learn from their peers (via )