Scientists show what dolphins see through echolocation
Scientists have successfully used echolocation recordings from dolphins to physically recreate objects tested during experiments. For the first time ever this gives humans a glimpse into what dolphins “see” when they echolocate upon objects underwater.
Video: Paddle boarder has near miss with whale
A paddle boarder in Santa Cruz had quite a scare when a humpback whale surfaced within inches of his board. The whale was feeding and the entire incident was caught on video. Remarkably the paddle boarder was not injured and even managed to stay on his board.
Retra releases LSD Ultimate
Retra has announced an updated version of their Light Shaping Device (LSD). The LSD Ultimate has a lighter aluminum housing and a separate optical tube and mounting module. The latter are interchangeable and available for Sea&Sea, Inon, Seacam and Ikelite strobes. The company is also offering three different packs of masks to accompany the LSD.
The 2015 Ocean Views entry deadline is soon
Video: Borneo From Below Episode 18
Borneo From Below episode 18 is now online. This week the episode features Scubazoo’s senior cameraman Chris Tan. The episode is titled, “A Day in the Life of an Underwater Cameraman,” and focuses on what it takes to do this job for a living.
Rumour: Nikon is purchasing Samsung
Petapixel reports on a rumour that Nikon has bought Samsung’s imaging technology. Recently, Samsung has been withdrawing its imaging products from European markets. The unconfirmed story is that Nikon will use Samsung’s NX resources to build mirrorless cameras that may rival Sony’s offerings. (Image from Petapixel).
Anonymous attacks Icelandic whaling
Video: Encounter with a Nautilus
- Freediving underwater photographers on CNN (via )
- Issue 18 of Anima Mundi magazine is now available to download (via )
- MBARI develops simple open source underwater camera (via )
- Rihanna’s underwater shark shoot for Harper’s Bazaar (via )
- Images and specs of Nikon D810a leaked online (via )
- Adobe updates Lightroom Mobile to v.1.3 (via )
- Microsoft unveils image composite editor v2.0 (via )
- Photos for Mac that will replace Aperture and iPhoto (via )
- Divers discover underwater forest off coast of Britain (via )
- An underwater portrait shoot with kayaker Viktoria Wolffhardt (via )