Call for entries: Durban Undersea Club Shootout 2015
Raja Ampat Regency changes fees
The Government of the Raja Ampat Regency has changed both the fee for entry into the area and the way that the resulting monies are distributed. The fee is now valid for 12 months (previously a calendar year) and has doubled to IDR500.000 ($38) for domestic users and IDR1000.000 (around $76) for international visitors.
Review: Nikon FX wide-angle lenses
Wetpixel Editor Adam Hanlon presents a review of most of the available rectilinear wide-angle lens choices for Nikon full-frame camera. The aim is to evaluate individual lens’s performance underwater, but also for this to be a reference for those seeking information about lens choices. As other test lenses come available, the tests will be added to, so please keep checking back for updates
Camera housing for shooting 360 degrees underwater
A new underwater housing gives underwater photographers the ability to shoot 360 degree video underwater by housing six GoPro cameras at once. The 360Abyss can shoot video up to 7.5K resolution and is rated to a maximum depth of 1,000 meters. The housing MSRP is $5,395 (not including the six GoPro cameras).
Video: One Shot
Report: The Photography Show
The 2015 Photography Show, held at The National Exhibition Center, Birmingham, UK is in its second year. It is the only national consumer photography event in the UK and this year featured quite a few new products so Wetpixel went along to take a look.
UK to designate largest marine reserve in the world
On Wednesday March 18, the UK government unveiled plans to designate the area around Pitcairn Island a marine reserve. When established, this will be the largest marine reserve in the entire world, encompassing 322,000 square miles.
The Hydrous: Producing 3D Models Underwater
Yasmeen Smalley presents an introduction to the uses and techniques of 3D photogrammetry as a scientific tool for measuring coral reefs and assessing environmental impacts on them. An non-profit organization, the Hydrous has used the technique to map coral reefs in Hawaii, the Solomon Islands, the Maldives, Guam and Palau.
- August issue of DIVE magazine available (via )
- Camera RAW 8.6 final version now available (via )
- Adobe releases Lightroom 5.6 (via )
- Announcing Fit Diver magazine (via )
- World’s largest aquatic insect discovered in China (via )
- Blackmagic design updates camera firmware to version 1.8.2 (via )
- Adobe releases Camera Raw release candidate version 8.6 (via )
- Free Aperture to Lightroom migration tool in open beta (via )
- Seahorses growl when stressed study shows (via )
- Artist Nathaniel Stern and his team make underwater scans (via )