Field Review: Retra Flash by Alex Mustard and friends
Retra’s new underwater flash starts shipping to pre-order customers at the end of this week. Alex Mustard and friends share their thoughts and images after extensive testing of the strobe in Egypt, Cayman and Cuba. Alex notes that: “The Retra Flash is big news: a brand new strobe and a new manufacturer joining the underwater strobe market are rare events indeed.”
DPReview interviews Justin Hofman about his seahorse image
Winners of the 2017 SoCal Shootout have been announced
The winners of the 2017 SoCal Shootout have been announced. Bluewater Photo hosts the annual underwater photography competition that ran from September 8th - 10th this year. Images were taken in the Pacific Ocean anywhere south of Pt. Conception to north of the Mexican border. The prize for Best in Show went to Helen Brierley for her photograph of a Blue-Banded Goby. The prize pool was worth over $20,000 and images were judged by Andy Sallmon and Scott Gietler.
G-Technology announces rugged mobile SSD drives
Western Digital ships 12TB hard drive
Hurricane Maria to land on the Leeward Islands tonight
Hurricane Maria’s strength has intensified to category 4 and is now due to land on the Leeward Islands later tonight. Many of these islands have already been badly affected by hurricane Irma, and it seems that this second storm will wreak additional havoc. From the Wetpixel community to those in the storm’s path: We hope and pray that you will be safe and that the storm will pass you by with minimal impact on your homes and businesses.
Scientists examine coral loss in 240-year old nautical maps
In a study recently published in the journal Science Advances, scientists compared nautical charts between 1773 and 1775 of the Florida Keys to satellite data. Specifically, the nautical charts recorded exact location of corals. The location of existing present day coral match the nautical maps. However, over half of the coral recorded in the nautical charts is missing today.
Gates announces SPR110 Stackable Port System
- Sound blasts could keep whales away from wind farms (via )
- Behind the shot: Underwater archer (via )
- Ocean Art photography competition now open (via )
- Flickr photo licensing is no more (via )
- A look at the new iPhone’s bokeh mode (via )
- Canon updates DPP to v.4.5.0 and EOS Utility to v.3.5.0 (via )
- Canon updates EOS 1D-X Mark II firmware to v.1.12 (via )
- Unraveling the mysteries of Great White Sharks (via )
- Watch a video tour of iPhone 7’s new camera features (via )
- Canon updates 7D Mark II firmware to v.1.1.0 (via )