Registration for the Monterey Shootout is now open
Behind the Shot: Uwe Schmolke’s Queen of Colours
Wildlife Photographer of the Year launches People’s Choice Award
The Wildlife Photographer of the Year competition 2014 has launched the first ever People’s Choice Award to celebrate the 50th year of the competition’s existence. The competition received over 41,000 entries for this year’s top wildlife photography prize. Jurors selected 50 images for the new category.
Building an underwater drone to film hippos
On an episode of Wildlife Documentaries Behind the Scenes, the Earth Touch team builds an underwater drone to film Africa’s most dangerous animal, the hippo, underwater. After assembling the unique underwater rig and testing it, the camera was brought to Botswana’s Okavango Delta to get it wet and film hippos.
Mike Veitch launches the Bali School of Underwater Photography
Wetpixel moderator Mike Veitch has announced the establishment of the Bali School of Underwater Photography. It offers a variety of classes for underwater photographers ranging from a 2 day session to complete dive safaris around Bali.
Whale Sharks 2014: Trip report
The annual Wetpixel Whale Shark Expedition starts today, with the participants gathering in Isla Mujeres and setting out for our first day on the water tomorrow. In order to keep everyone posted about this amazing event, we have started a thread in the forum, which we will be updating regularly throughout the next two weeks. Please check back for posts regularly.
A comprehensive beginner’s guide to UW photography
The Wirecutter has teamed up with the ocean site The Scuttlefish, underwater photographer Sterling Zumbrunn and us here at Wetpixel to bring you this comprehensive beginner’s guide to underwater photography techniques and gear.
FIX announces its Neo Mini focus light
FIX has announced the release of their Neo Mini 500 focus light. This features both red and white light modes, adjustable through 4 output levels and momentarily cuts off automatically when it detects a flash. It has a battery status indicator and can recharged via USB, or use disposable CR123 batteries.
- High speed liquid photography (via )
- Hawaii criticizes WA shark cull (via )
- 1956 message in a bottle from oceanographer just found (via )
- MV Kalabia - the floating classroom in Raja Ampat (via )
- New jellyfish species washes ashore in Tasmania (via )
- First fish removed from endangered species list (via )
- New JPG format rivals RAW for quality (via )
- Nikon looking at 4K video on its SLR cameras (via )
- The Japan Times questions the legitimacy of the Taji dolphin… (via )
- The February 2014 issue of DIVE magazine is available to download (via )