Results: SoCal Shootout
The full results of the SoCal Shootout held over 13-15 September have been announced. Best of Show first prize in the Animal Behavior category was awarded to 18-year-old Nirupam Nigam with his image of a sarcastic fringehead (Neoclinus blanchardi) “admiring” its reflection in his dome port. Congratulations to all the winners and, as ever, it is great to see so many Wetpixel members among the placings.
Oceanic black holes exist
In a new study, scientists say black holes are out there, just a lot closer than we originally thought, and much wetter.
Adobe updates Premiere and Photoshop Elements
Video: Nudibranchs and Sea slugs of Guam part one
Field review: Canon EOS 6D, NA-6D housing and Zen DP-100 port
Wetpixel Editor Adam Hanlon presents a selective field review of the performance of the Canon EOS 6D camera, the Nauticam NA-6D housing and Zen DP-100 dome port whilst photographing the whale shark aggregation at Isla Mujeres during the 2013 Wetpixel Ultimate Whale Sharks expedition.
Stella McCartney does fashion week underwater
Fashion designer Stella McCartney had models swim the underwater catwalk for London’s fashion week in a unique and creative move to highlight new Adidas swimwear.
Nikon announces AW1 underwater camera
In a move rumored previously, Nikon has announced an interchangeable lens camera based on its 1 system. They have also unveiled waterproof 10mm f2.8 and 11-27.5mm f/3.5-5.6 lenses as well as an underwater Speedlight (SB-N10). Whilst comparisons with Nikonos are bound to be made, it is important to note that the maximum depth of these is 15m, so it is still not a “proper” underwater camera and the current lens choices are, at best limiting for underwater use.
Disturbing underwater images from Hawaii’s molasses spill
Underwater images show a disturbing level of devastation in Honolulu’s harbor post Molasses spill. The images show all types of marine life in the harbor dead or dying on the sea floor.
- Sony RX1R review: “Better than medium format” (via )
- Firmware updates for Panasonic GH3 and G5 (via )
- Great White Shark federal status controversial (via )
- National Wildlife 2013 photo contest open for entries (via )
- Photo of Caimans at night in Brazil (via )
- Canon showcases EOS 70D new AF capabilities (via )
- Issue 55 of X-Ray Mag is available to download (via )
- California shark fin ban takes effect this week (via )
- 200 year old fish caught off Alaska (via )
- Latest videos from the ICJ trial of Japanese commercial whaling (via )