Volunteers sought to document coral bleaching
Exposure Labs makers of the documentary “Chasing Ice”, are seeking underwater photographers to contribute imagery towards an attempt to document the worldwide effects of coral bleaching. Each volunteer will need to be available and in a suitable location for at least 3 days between now and 31 May. (Image from Shutterstock).
Canon announces firmware updates to video products
Canon has announced a series of firmware updates for its Cinema EOS, Hd video and 4K Reference Display products. Among the refinements are Canon Log3 and control enhancements for the C300 Mark II, control enhancements for the C100 Mark II and a new file formate for the XA35 and XA30 cameras.
Adobe offers preview of new video editing features
Adobe has given a sneak preview of forthcoming enhancements to Premiere Pro and its other video apps. The new features focus on new media management, giving greater control over the ingest process. Premiere will work natively with 6K or 8K files and Premiere can automatically generate low res proxies on import, allowing editing on less powerful systems. The Lumetri color panel has been also been revised.
Image: Great White by Sergio Ricardo
Octopus escapes tank and finds way back to ocean
Inky the octopus, of New Zealand’s National Aquarium in Napier, gained instant celebrity when it was revealed that he escaped his tank, crawled across the aquarium floor, and made it to a discharge pipe to the Pacific ocean. Inky was already well known to the coastal city of Napier. He was rescued in 2004 after being caught and injured in a crayfish pot. In a public contest he was named Inky through popular vote.
Video: Raja Mono - A Study in Contrast by Ron Lagerlof.
Image: Face to Face by Alex Suh
Nauticam announces housing for Nikon D5
Nauticam will be shipping their housing for the Nikon D5 SLR camera shortly. It features a new built-in opto-electrical converter that connects to the camera via a hotshoe and outputs via fiber optic bulkheads. Nauticam are also offering an optional converter that allows TTL flash metering. ISO adjustment is available via a lever on the right hand side, and there is access to Preview and assignable Function buttons 1 and 2.
- The most common vertebrate in the world is a fish (via )
- Adobe Dehaze: a tool for dealing with backscatter (via )
- Facebook unveils new Snapchat-esque photo editing (via )
- Starfish excrete foreign bodies through their arms (via )
- Tamales Bay revival exceeds expectations in just seven years (via )
- Swimming with sharks off Oahu, Hawaii (via )
- NG photo of the day Orcas by Paul Nicklen (via )
- 33 year-old orca dies after a lifetime in captivity (via )
- Japan to resume Antarctic whaling later this… (via )
- Tiger shark steals underwater camera rig (via )