Extremely rare Megamouth shark caught off the coast of Japan
An extremely rare Megamouth shark has been caught off the coast of Japan. The animal was 15-feet long and weighed one ton. It was caught by fishermen 5 kilometers off the coast of central Japan in Owase Port in Mie Prefecture. Only 60 Megamouth sharks have ever been spotted since the species’ discovery in 1976.
Blackmagic Design ships 4K Video Assist
Black magic Design has announced at NAB that they are now shipping the 4K version of their Video Assist recorder/monitor. It can be added to any camera with an HDMI or SDI output and has a 7 inch monitor. Recording is to two SD cards in 10 Bit 4:2:2 ProRes and DNx formats.
Exclusive images of Nauticam housing for EOS 1D X Mark II
GoPro displays new VR solutions
At the NAB show that starts in Las Vegas today, GoPro will be debuting their Omni and Odyssey VR arrays. The former utilizes 6 GoPro cameras and the latter 16, synchronized at pixel level by the rig. GoPro are providing a full solution; including processing, editing and hosting the footage captured by the new arrays. The company will also feature their Custom Solutions for broadcast at NAB.
Image: Shoals of Baitfish by Martyn Guess
Pelican announces Air cases
Pelican Products has announced a new series of hard shell equipment cases. The new Pelican Air range is up to 40% lighter than the original versions, but retain the same levels of protection. They are currently available in 6 sizes, with more being planned in future. Each case has a variety of internal configurations.
21 illegal shark fishermen arrested in the Galapagos Marine Reserve
21 illegal shark fishermen were caught and arrested in the Galapagos Marine Reserve last week. Park rangers in the reserve spotted the suspicious vessel through their electronic surveillance. After chasing the main boat and six smaller vessels for a full twenty-four hours, eventually the rangers caught up and arrested all the crew, seized the vessels and recovered the catch.
Zeiss announces the Batis 18mm lens
- Spinner dolphins by Erika Hart NG photo of the day (via )
- Video: Follow a National Geographic photographer (via )
- Apple releases version 6.05 of Raw compatibility software (via )
- Nikon D750 advisory for shutter shading (via )
- Outdoor Photographer magazine sold to Madavor Media (via )
- Volunteer Divers Needed for Giant Sea Bass Count August 1-16,… (via )
- Atomos upgrades Shogun firmware to AtomOS6.4 (via )
- Obama administration delivers blow to Shell’s Arctic drilling… (via )
- The most common vertebrate in the world is a fish (via )
- Adobe Dehaze: a tool for dealing with backscatter (via )