Actor Adrian Grenier visits Mission 31 Aquarius habitat
Actor and Filmmaker, Adrian Grenier scuba dives and visits Aquarius Reef Base during Fabien Cousteau’s Mission 31. In addition to his acting and filmmaking career, Adrian is an ocean advocate and regularly contributes to causes and organizations supporting the world’s oceans.
Seawalls: Murals for Oceans by PangeaSeed
PangeaSeed, an international nonprofit that aims to connect people to the ocean through art, is sending several well known street artists to Isla Mujeres this summer for the annual whale shark aggregation to swim with sharks and then create an inspiring mural as part of its Sea Walls project.
Nikon announces the D810 SLR
Nikon has announced the D810 SLR. The camera features a new 36.3 megapixel FX-format (7360 x 4912 resolution) CMOS sensor, AF via the Multi-Cam 3500-FX AF sensor module and the EXPEED 4 image processing engine. These means that, compared with the D800, the camera has improved ISO performance, faster and more accurate AF and a faster frame rate.
New paper on “Disco Clams”
Lecture: Eric Cheng and Hidden Ocean Worlds
Wetpixel Publisher Eric Cheng delivered a lecture entitled “Hidden Ocean Worlds” to the CreativeMornings community, Los Angeles on March 28, 2014. CreativeMornings “is a breakfast lecture series for the creative community.” In his lecture, Eric talks about “sharks, jellies, and tiny, bizarre critters.”
Final call: NCUPS contests 2014
The Northern California Underwater Photographic Society (NCUPS) is making a final call for entries to the SEA International Underwater Photo and Video Competition and the Bob Commer Award of Excellence in Underwater Photography. The deadline for entries is 30 June.
Interview with Benjamin Von Wong
Video: Rare all white humpback whale spotted
The albino humpback whale, nicknamed “Migaloo”, was spotted on June 19th off the Green Cape in New South Wales, Australia. The whale has been spotted before and is believed to be approximately 26 to 28 years old.
- First fish removed from endangered species list (via )
- New JPG format rivals RAW for quality (via )
- Nikon looking at 4K video on its SLR cameras (via )
- The Japan Times questions the legitimacy of the Taji dolphin… (via )
- The February 2014 issue of DIVE magazine is available to download (via )
- Great Barrier Reef sediment dump approved (via )
- Olympus releases firmware version 2.0 for OM-D E-M5 (via )
- NRDC goes to court over Navy sonar testing (via )
- NG photo of walrus underwater (via )
- U.S. ambassador decries Taiji dolphin hunt (via )