Several swimming pigs found dead in Bahamas
Several of the famous Bahamas swimming pigs were found dead over the weekend. It is unclear how the pigs died, whether intentional or accidental, but an investigation is underway according to the Bahamas Humane Society (BHS) president Kim Aranha. Approximately 7 pigs are alive and unaffected. The swimming pigs of Exuma are famous in the underwater photography community for use as subjects in photographs.
Sigma announces 4 lenses including 14mm wide angle
Sharkwater free showing across Canada
Canadian moviegoers will have a special treat available on 25 February. Rob Stewart’s documentary “Sharkwater” will be showing at Cineplex theaters nationwide. Admission is free in exchange for a donation to WWF Canada. The film is also available on iTunes, with proceeds from each sale or rental going towards they costs of finishing the production of “Sharkwater: Extinction.”
Ocean Discovery XPrize semi finalists announced
The Shell Ocean Discovery XPrize (ODXP) has selected its semi finalists. The aim of the 3 year contest is to design tools that allow for rapid, unmanned and high-resolution surveys of the world’s oceans. The 21 shortlisted teams represent 13 countries and are competing for a $7 million prize purse.
Lightroom Coffee Break: Flow Control Slider
Kevin Shaw on HDR for Filmmakers
FinalColor has posted an article entitled “HDR-An Introduction” by Kevin Shaw. In it, Shaw describes the use of HDR displays, the move from a Gamma based standard to perceptual quantization (PQ) electro-optical transfer function (EOTF). He points out that 4K resolution is a 400% increase in data for (once compressions has taken place) relative little gain, whereas HDR is a 20% data increase for a “huge” improvement.
Think Tank Photo updates Airport TakeOff
Inon announces UCL-67 close up lens
Inon has released their UCL-67 close up lens. Consisting of 3 coated lens element in 4 groups, the lens offers equivalent magnification to a +15 diopter along with a reasonable working distance. Mounting options including M67 (UCL-67 M67) and Inon LD mount (UCL-67 LD) and there is a stacking ring available.
- World’s first medium format mirrorless camera (via )
- NG photo of the day by Will Stratham (via )
- Apple will no longer have a dual camera in the iPhone 7 (via )
- Nikon accused of falsely advertising D500’s Wifi (via )
- Photographer sues state of N Carolina for copyright infringement (via )
- You can now post photos to Instagram directly from iOS (via )
- Astronaut tweets photo of DSLRs on the ISS (via )
- FStoppers reviews Ikelite housing for Nikon D810 (via )
- Behind the scenes with Zena Holloway (via )
- Connecticut officials remind people releasing balloons is illegal (via )