CIPA publishes report into camera sales figures
The Japanese Camera and Imaging Products Association (CIPA) publishes an annual report of camera sales world wide and have just released the 2014 numbers. Of a total of 43 million units, SLR bodies accounted for 10.55 million (13.8 million in 2013) and mirrorless cameras 3.2 million (3.39 in 2013). The sales of compact cameras continues to fall rapidly, with shipments of 29 million units in 2014.
Researchers voice concern over poisonous sea slugs
Researchers have voiced concern about a new species of neurotoxic side gilled seagull that are having a dramatic increase in population off the coast of Argentina. The new species, similar to Pleurobranchaea maculata (pictured above) which is found off Australia and New Zealand, has no predators, and is hence able to outcompete indigenous species. (Image by Heike Wägele & Annette Klussmann-Kolb)
Manatee influx closes Three Sisters Spring
An apparent combination of low tides and cold weather created an influx of over 300 manatees (Trichechus manatus) into Three Sisters Spring, Crystal River, Florida on Monday. This lead to the US Fish and Wildlife Service issuing a temporary closure (to the public) of Three Sisters Springs.
Nauticam announces compact macro converter 1
Deadline for Our World Underwater photo competition fast approaching
The deadline for the 2015 Our World Underwater International Photo and Video Competition, hosted by Wetpixel and Divephotoguide is February 8th, 2015.
Megamouth shark specimen found in Philippines
A rare megamouth shark was discovered in a fisherman’s net this week in the Philippines. The megamouth shark is so rare in fact, that less than 70 specimens have ever been recorded, the first being in 1976.
Sea&Sea announces the MDX-D810 housing
Sea&Sea has announced full details of their housing for the Nikon D810. The MDX-D810 is compatible with their Internal Optical YS converter and the new Fiber Optic cable II. It also features a zoom/focus gear that can be retracted in order to insert big diameter lenses.
Alex Mustard offers underwater photography masterclass
- Camera RAW 8.6 final version now available (via )
- Adobe releases Lightroom 5.6 (via )
- Announcing Fit Diver magazine (via )
- World’s largest aquatic insect discovered in China (via )
- Blackmagic design updates camera firmware to version 1.8.2 (via )
- Adobe releases Camera Raw release candidate version 8.6 (via )
- Free Aperture to Lightroom migration tool in open beta (via )
- Seahorses growl when stressed study shows (via )
- Artist Nathaniel Stern and his team make underwater scans (via )
- Japan’s prime minister confirms whale hunt to resume in… (via )