Wild Oceans: Crab uses urchin shield
Earth Touch Wild Oceans has uploaded a new video filmed by Mark Thorpe. The video features a crab using a fire urchin as a shield by carrying the critter on its back. This remarkable symbiosis situation protects the crab from hungry predators while the urchin gets a ride to a free meal.
Counting down: Our World Underwater 2016
Wetpixel and Dive Photo Guide’s Our World Underwater photo contest is approaching its final deadline for entries. The contest is one of the biggest and most respected underwater imaging competitions in the world, and the winners will share in over $10,000 worth of prizes. If you haven’t yet submitted your entries, now is the time to do so! The deadline for entries is 6 February.
Video: Canon EOS 1D X Mark II in the wild
Hands on: Nikon D5 and D500 cameras
Nikon Professional Services UK held their first launch event for the new D5 and D500 SLR cameras in Manchester, UK yesterday. Wetpixel was on hand to take some pictures of the new cameras and to report on the event.
Call for entries: BigPicture 2016
The BigPicture Natural World Photography Contest is calling for entries. There are numerous categories, including one for “Aquatic Life” and a portfolio contest on Coral Reefs. Entries are open now, and close on 31 March. There is a a discounted entry fee available until 14 February.
Report: BOOT Show 2016
The BOOT show is the world’s largest watersports show. Among the 14 giant halls that the show occupies at Messe Dusseldorf, Germany, is hall 3, which plays host to the scuba diving industry. Further tucked into this space are exhibitors showing underwater imaging gear. Check out Wetpixel’s live reports from the event.
Canon announces EOS 1D X Mark II
Behind the Shot: Konrad Malek
- Diving Devil’s Grotto with GoPro (via )
- Images of the Marshall Islands (via )
- Nikon updates D4s C firmware to 1.20 (via )
- 170 year old Veuve Clicquot recovered from shipwreck (via )
- Adobe Camera Raw 9 available now (via )
- Nikon updates D4s firmware to 1.10 (via )
- How to make money as a travel photographer in 2015 (via )
- Dead 50 foot sperm whale washes ashore in Pacifica (via )
- NG photo of the day by Brian Skerry (via )
- Light wants to put 52 megapixel cameras in smartphones (via )