Monterey Underwater Film Festival August 9, 2014
The 2014 Monterey Underwater Film Festival is set to be held in the Golden State Theatre Saturday August 9, 2014. The film festival coincides with the Monterey Shootout and admission is included in registration. Adam Ravetch, Sylvia Earle, Cristian Dimitrius and Erick Higuera will be presenting.
Registration for the Monterey Shootout is now open
Behind the Shot: Uwe Schmolke’s Queen of Colours
Wildlife Photographer of the Year launches People’s Choice Award
The Wildlife Photographer of the Year competition 2014 has launched the first ever People’s Choice Award to celebrate the 50th year of the competition’s existence. The competition received over 41,000 entries for this year’s top wildlife photography prize. Jurors selected 50 images for the new category.
Building an underwater drone to film hippos
On an episode of Wildlife Documentaries Behind the Scenes, the Earth Touch team builds an underwater drone to film Africa’s most dangerous animal, the hippo, underwater. After assembling the unique underwater rig and testing it, the camera was brought to Botswana’s Okavango Delta to get it wet and film hippos.
Mike Veitch launches the Bali School of Underwater Photography
Wetpixel moderator Mike Veitch has announced the establishment of the Bali School of Underwater Photography. It offers a variety of classes for underwater photographers ranging from a 2 day session to complete dive safaris around Bali.
Whale Sharks 2014: Trip report
The annual Wetpixel Whale Shark Expedition starts today, with the participants gathering in Isla Mujeres and setting out for our first day on the water tomorrow. In order to keep everyone posted about this amazing event, we have started a thread in the forum, which we will be updating regularly throughout the next two weeks. Please check back for posts regularly.
A comprehensive beginner’s guide to UW photography
The Wirecutter has teamed up with the ocean site The Scuttlefish, underwater photographer Sterling Zumbrunn and us here at Wetpixel to bring you this comprehensive beginner’s guide to underwater photography techniques and gear.
- Hammerhead shark by Denis Nezhentsev - NG photo of the day (via )
- Sony promises improved image quality update for A7 and A7R (via )
- New California bill seeks to ban Orcas performing in captivity (via )
- Getty images are now free for non-commercial use (via )
- Harp seal found on New York beach (via )
- Malibu protects dolphins and whales (via )
- Issue 14 of Anima Mundi magazine is now available to download (via )
- Sea Lions of the Galapagos Islands (via )
- How deep can fish swim? (via )
- Over underwater photographs in a tank (via )