Second oarfish washes ashore
A second Oarfish in less than a week has washed ashore in southern California, prompting scientists and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association to take notice. The longest bony fish in the sea are rare to see in shallow water as they typically remain at a depth of 3,000 feet. Image from Shutterstock.
NHM Wildlife Photographer of the Year Awards
Last night the winners of the Natural History Museum’s Wildlife Photographer of the Year were announced at an impressive awards ceremony in the museum. Wetpixel has some exclusive images from the event. Congratulations to all the honorees.
Sony releases the a7 and a7R cameras
Early this morning Sony released two new mirrorless full-frame sensor cameras with interchangeable lenses, the a7 and a7R. These are by far the smallest and lightest full frame interchangeable lensed cameras on the market (think Olympus OM-D EM-1) and boast a 24 and 36 megapixel sensor, respectively.
New accessories at DEMA from UW Fotopartner
DEMA Digital Imaging party announced!
The Wetpixel and DivePhotoGuide Digital Imaging party at DEMA 2013 will be on thursday night November 7th from 8 to 11pm. Like the last lively Orlando DEMA party, this one will also be poolside at the Rosen Center.
Giant Oarfish found off Catalina Island
Basking sharks return to British waters
Basking sharks have been seen off British waters in increasing and consistent numbers during the summer months, but scientists are still uncertain where the large fish head in the winter. The full Guardian article outlines the history of these magnificent creatures in British waters.
Retra announces the uTrigger
Retra has announced a new underwater remote trigger that works wirelessly through housing walls. It consists of a internal sensor and a wireless external unit that is attached to a push button remote by wire. It works with both AF and manual focus settings and the trigger can be locked to make long exposures.
- Apple offers free repairs and upgrades to some 2011 iMacs (via )
- High-tech underwater imaging by the Scripps Institute (via )
- New hammerhead shark species discovered (via )
- Summer issue of Alert Diver now available (via )
- First shark fin citation given to Chicago restaurant (via )
- European algae biofuel project moves forward (via )
- Dead dolphins washing ashore on east coast (via )
- EOS 70D preview and images (via )
- Hunting octopus on Scuba banned in Puget sound (via )
- Shark Week: Good or Bad for Sharks? (via )