Nauticam ships housing for Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II
Nauticam are shipping their housing for the Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II. It has integrated handle and a shutter release lever that is located on the housing body. It also features a thumb lever for AF and relocated rear buttons to allow for better control.
CineBags Underwater releases port cases
70 percent of Japan’s largest coral reef has died
Japan’s largest coral reef is dying due to rising sea temperatures. Over 90 percent of corals on Japan’s Sekiseishoko reef in the Ryukyu Islands, near Okinawa, have some bleaching and 70 percent of the corals have died overall. The reef was surveyed in November and December by Japan’s Environment ministry. The bleaching is the worst in the recorded history of the reef and is due to rising sea temperatures.
Exploring the idea of consciousness in octopus
Peter Godfrey-Smith has published a book titled, “The Octopus, the Sea, and the Deep Origins of Consciousness”. It explores one of the most curious creatures of the underwater world and the idea of their consciousness. Carl Safina, ocean conservationist, reviews the book for the New York Times and in doing so composes a wonderful story that is in and of itself worth reading.
The Shootout returns: Lembeh vs Gulen round 2
Subal announces housing for GoPro HERO 5
Subal has announced a new housing for the GoPro HERO 5. Constructed of aluminum, it numerous mounting options and a depth rating of 300m. It can be equipped with an adaptor that allows it to be used with Subal dome ports.
GIMP seeks funding
Open source image editing application GIMP is seeking funding from its user community. Up until now, Øyvind Kolås, the main driver behind the forthcoming 2.10 update to the app has been living off his savings whilst doing the development work. Although the GIMP app will remain free, users are being encouraged to help support the work on the updates by contributing on Kolås’ Patreon page.
Paper describes seal whisker sensory ability
- Apple will no longer have a dual camera in the iPhone 7 (via )
- Nikon accused of falsely advertising D500’s Wifi (via )
- Photographer sues state of N Carolina for copyright infringement (via )
- You can now post photos to Instagram directly from iOS (via )
- Astronaut tweets photo of DSLRs on the ISS (via )
- FStoppers reviews Ikelite housing for Nikon D810 (via )
- Behind the scenes with Zena Holloway (via )
- Connecticut officials remind people releasing balloons is illegal (via )
- FStoppers tests Aquatech Elite underwater housing (via )
- Subal D500 housing to ship from 10 July (via )