Video: One Shot
Report: The Photography Show
The 2015 Photography Show, held at The National Exhibition Center, Birmingham, UK is in its second year. It is the only national consumer photography event in the UK and this year featured quite a few new products so Wetpixel went along to take a look.
UK to designate largest marine reserve in the world
On Wednesday March 18, the UK government unveiled plans to designate the area around Pitcairn Island a marine reserve. When established, this will be the largest marine reserve in the entire world, encompassing 322,000 square miles.
The Hydrous: Producing 3D Models Underwater
Yasmeen Smalley presents an introduction to the uses and techniques of 3D photogrammetry as a scientific tool for measuring coral reefs and assessing environmental impacts on them. An non-profit organization, the Hydrous has used the technique to map coral reefs in Hawaii, the Solomon Islands, the Maldives, Guam and Palau.
Video: Diving Manta Alley by Earth Touch
Earth Touch has posted a video from Indonesia’s Manta Alley on its Wild Oceans Channel. Wetpixel Moderator Mike Veitch filmed the mantas feeding in the plankton rich water and also spotted a banded sea krait (Laticauda colubrina) and a curious black tip reef shark (Carcharhinus melanopterus).
Stop press: Housing compatibility update
Wetpixel has spent the day at The Photography Show at the NEC, Birmingham, UK. There will be full report to follow, but during the show, we were able to do some testing in terms of housing compatibility with the new models from Nikon and Canon.
Reikan releases FoCal 2 calibration software
Reikan has announced the release of version 2 of their FoCal automatic focus tuning software. The update allows users to compare their calibration results with other users. Other changes include a lens optical performance test using an astigmatism metric and a redesigned user interface.
Wetpixel publisher, Eric Cheng, interviewed by Huffington Post
Wetpixel publisher, Eric Cheng, has been interviewed by the Huffington Post in an article titled, “An Explorer’s Lessons On Happiness, Photography, And Greeting Whales”. The candid interview gives an inside look to the creator of Wetpixel.
- October issue of DIVE magazine available to download (via )
- Incredible close-up drone footage of a volcano in Iceland (via )
- 35,000 walrus come ashore in NW Alaska (via )
- Panasonic releases firmware update for GH4 (via )
- Silent divers count more fish (via )
- Canon updates DPP, EOS Movie, EOS Utility and Picture Style… (via )
- Six production companies get ok from FAA to use drones (via )
- Canon USA releases guide to AF on 7D Mark II (PDF) (via )
- Blue whale populations off California near historic levels (via )
- Woman pays tribute to departed fiance with uw photo shoot (via )