Underwater panoramic camera used to document reefs
National aquarium moves from DC to Baltimore
The government is not the only thing in D.C. to shutdown this week. The National Aquarium is closing it’s doors and becoming a basement walkway, displacing approximately 2,500 aquatic residents.
Nikon unveils the D610
Nikon has announced its D610 FX SLR camera. Widely rumoured to be a solution for the sensor oil spotting problem that occurred with the D600, there are actually only three new features on it. A new shutter mechanism allows for 6fps continuous shooting and a quiet continuous mode at 3fps. It also features an improved white balance system.
Report suggests oceans are entering a phase of extinction
New App: Reef Fishes of the East Indies
The three-volume textbook cataloging every known fish species in the coral triangle will be available as three interlinking Pad (imminent) or Kindle Fire (from 10 October) Apps. The Apps load onto the device, meaning that they can be used in areas where there is limited internet connectivity, and will be updated as new discoveries are made.
Giant Squid washes ashore in Cantabria, Spain
An elusive Giant Squid washed ashore in Cantabria, Spain on La Arena Beach on 1 October. The Architeuthis dux is the largest of all invertebrates and this one was a full 30 feet long.
Wetpixel Komodo 2014: Last few spaces available
The 2014 Wetpixel Komodo Expedition is almost sold out! The trip will take in some of the least dived sites in the southern Komodo National Park, which offer a fantastic mix of healthy coral reefs, lots of fish and interesting macro life. In February and March, the waters in the south are clear and warm, offering great conditions for productive underwater photography.
Ikelite releases torch mounting options
Ikelite has released a series of mounting kits for their Gamma LED lights. These allow them to be attached to the cold shoes on housings, or to be attached to the handles on Ikelite camera trays via 1” ball or locline mountings.
- Ex dolphin trainer now working to save them (via )
- Kodak bankruptcy plan approved (via )
- Real shark trivia is better than Shark Week (via )
- Stolen photo wins photo contest (via )
- First underwater video of apes swimming (via )
- Large numbers of dead dolphins on US East coast is a cause for… (via )
- Apple offers free repairs and upgrades to some 2011 iMacs (via )
- High-tech underwater imaging by the Scripps Institute (via )
- New hammerhead shark species discovered (via )
- Summer issue of Alert Diver now available (via )