Oceano Profundo expedition discovers two new deep sea creatures
During the third leg of the expedition Océano Profundo 2015: Exploring Puerto Rico’s Seamounts, Trenches, and Troughs, scientists explored the deep sea off Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands. What made this expedition unique was the high-definition video that was live streamed to land based scientists all around the world. This allowed real time input from top experts that were not able to join the expedition and lead to suggestions and guidance as if they were on board the ship.
Spaces available on Wetpixel Whale Sharks expedition
Due to a cancellation, we have two spaces available on our Ultimate Whale Sharks trip that is running from 07/26/2015 to 08/01/2015. The trip, led by Wetpixel Editor Adam Hanlon and underwater filmmaker Cristian Dimitrius, will provide amazing imaging opportunities at one of the most spectacular underwater events. Previous years have reliably enjoyed hundreds of whale sharks in a dense conglomeration.
Image: Wolf Eel by Peter Stenberg
FIX ships the Neo 3000 video light
FIX is shipping their Neo 3000 video light. Offering 3000 lumens with a spread of 100°, the light features interchangeable batteries and output that is variable in 1% increments. The batteries can be externally or internally charged as required and burn time is 55 minutes at full power.
Tutorial: Nikon autofocus by Steve Perry
Wildlife photographer Steve Perry of Backcountry Gallery has added a video tutorial about Nikon autofocus settings onto his YouTube channel. Although not specifically aimed at underwater photography and Nikon specific, it is an excellent overview of what each AF mode is and how to use the myriad of camera settings to best effect.
Canon issues service advisory for EOS Rebel T6s and T6i
Video: Confluence - man and sharks by Monty Halls
UK television presenter and marine biologist, Monty Halls, presented a talk entitled “Confluence - the turbulent relationship of man and shark” at the TEDxVilnius event in late April. In it, he describes the changes that he has observed in the oceans over the two decades of his lifetime and the prospects for the marine environment if the current industrial scale eradication of sharks is continued. (Image by Simon Rogerson)
MindShift Gear releases GP system
- The Olympus E-M5 II will use same sensor as predecessor (via )
- Freediver catches 70 pound lobster, names him Albert Girther,… (via )
- Documentary follows the film restoration of JAWS (via )
- High ISO Comparison: Nikon D750 Vs. D810 Vs. 7D Mark II Vs. 5D… (via )
- A day in the life of underwater photographers Tina Terras and… (via )
- Steve-O cited for Sea World sign prank (via )
- Apple updates Final Cut Pro X to 10.1.4 (via )
- Issue 17 of Anima Mundi magazine is now available for download (via )
- Adobe releases Lightroom 5.7 and Camera RAW 8.7 (via )
- Apple updates Camera RAW compatibility to 6.1 (via )