The Blennywatcher Diary: August 2013
In the August instalment of The Blennywatcher Diary, Anna and Ned DeLoach report back on their recent trip to Utila, Honduras. Among other sightings, they recorded a Quillfin Blenny, Large-eye Toadfish and Yellow Jawfish. They also discuss hybridization and how species can be dispersed outside of their normal ranges by currents.
Amazon begins selling underwater fine art
Call for entries: Ocean Art 2013
The Ocean Art Photography Competition 2013 is now calling for entries. The competition has 12 categories, including a novice dSLR category and 3 compact camera categories as well as super macro, cold/temperate water, nudibranchs, and divers/fashion. Other more traditional categories include wide-angle, macro, marine life portraits, and marine life behavior.
Florida policeman stops traffic to save turtle hatchlings
Sarasota policeman Derek Conley was on patrol at 1 a.m. last Saturday when he found turtle hatchlings in a hotel parking lot. He and passers-by gathered them into a box and then released them into the water. The officer was forced to stop traffic several times in order to do so and he estimates that some 90-100 turtles were saved. (Image by Sarasota police)
Nauticam releases the NA-V2 housing
Nauticam has announced the release of their housing for the Nikon 1 V2 mirrorless camera. The housing features access to both the camera’s control dials, and a switch that allows the user to switch between LCD screen and EVF viewfinder. The camera’s built-in pop up flash can control TTL strobe output via fiber optic ports.
Image: Manta breach
Call for entries: Diver/BSoUP Print competition 2013
5 things more deadly than sharks
- Chagos marine park in Indian Ocean ruled lawful (via BBC)
- Bioluminescent sand Avatar in real life (via )
- Apple announces new Mac Pros (via )
- Issue 11 of Anima Mundi is now available to download (via )
- Coral reefs devastated by climate change (via )
- Scientific American: The effects of climate change on coral reefs (via )
- Apple updates Aperture to version 3.4.5 (via )
- Great Barrier Reef Youtube live event now! (via )
- MBARI publishes study of seafloor trash (via )
- Canon EOS M update due by end of June (via )