Palau combats illegal fishing through satellites
Palau is leading the world by example in the effort to combat illegal fishing in its waters. In a recent and riveting article, the New York Times dove into the challenges faced by the island nation in upholding the protections put in place to conserve ocean wildlife. Palau is embracing the use of satellites to track illegal fishing vessels, from extremely remote locations.
Deadline approaching: DEEP Indonesia 2016
The deadline for entries to the 2016 DEEP Indonesia contest is fast approaching. This competition is the other half of the renowned Underwater Competition Series, which is offering a total of more than $100,000 in prizes this year. The deadline for the competition is Thursday, 25 February.
Introducing the Canon G7 X Mark II
Canon announces EOS 80D
Zena Holloway’s latest images for the Birmingham Royal Ballet
The latest project of renowned underwater photographer Zena Holloway features the dancers of the Birmingham Royal Ballet, underwater. The images are part of a promotion for the ballet’s latest production, the Tempest.
Borneo from Below: Episode 27
The latest online episode of Borneo from Below features underwater photographer Jason Isley and his Small Blue World. Bertie spends time interviewing Jason as well as diving and following the process behind the project
Sea Shepherd announces Sea Shepherd Dive
Beneath the Sea announces film festival line up
The Beneath the Sea International Film Festival has released the list of speakers for its fortieth event. It will be held on Saturday, 2 April at 8:30 p.m. in the La Quinta Hotel Secaucus, New Jersey. The host for the evening will be Bill Evans. Jonathan Bird, Leandro Blanco, Ernie Brooks, Andy Brandy Casagrande, David Doubilet and Jen Hayes, Jack and Sue Drafahl, Howard and Michele Hall and Richie Kohler will all present their films during the festival.
- Apple releases version 6.05 of Raw compatibility software (via )
- Nikon D750 advisory for shutter shading (via )
- Outdoor Photographer magazine sold to Madavor Media (via )
- Volunteer Divers Needed for Giant Sea Bass Count August 1-16,… (via )
- Atomos upgrades Shogun firmware to AtomOS6.4 (via )
- Obama administration delivers blow to Shell’s Arctic drilling… (via )
- The most common vertebrate in the world is a fish (via )
- Adobe Dehaze: a tool for dealing with backscatter (via )
- Facebook unveils new Snapchat-esque photo editing (via )
- Starfish excrete foreign bodies through their arms (via )