Shark attack survivor, advocate and underwater photographer
Mike Coots was just 18 years old when he lost his leg during a shark attack in Hawaii. While the obvious next step might be to never return to the water again, Coots has become an advocate for sharks as well as a professional photographer and accomplished underwater photographer. His passion for the ocean predator comes through on his wildly popular Instagram account.
Inon announces Z Mount Adaptor
Gates offers STO clinic prior to Wildscreen
Giant Australian Cuttlefish Aggregation by Don Silcock
Alex Mustard: Nikon D5 First Thoughts
Wetpixel Associate Editor Alex Mustard shares his first impressions of the flagship Nikon SLR camera after a few shoots in testing UK conditions. Alex has also shared a gallery of his images taken with the D5 during his testing on Wetpixel’s Full Frame. It is important to note that this article represents some of his thoughts about the new camera, rather than a fully fledged review.
Panasonic announces HC-X1 4K Camcorder
Panasonic has announced the HC-X1 4K camcorder. It features a 24mm zoom lens billed as the “widest in the industry for a camcorder with integrated lens”. It has a 1 inch sensor and can record 4K at 24p and UHD or HD at 60p/50p. In HD, it will support a variable frame rate from 2 to 60fps. The HC-X1’s supported recording formats are MOV, MP4 and AVCHD to two internal SD card drives.
Fathom One Drone seeks funding on Kickstarter
Fathom is seeking crowdfunding investment on Kickstarterfor its Fathom One HD underwater drone. it features a built in HD camera and LED lights, along with a rail system for attaching additional accessories. It is tethered by 100 f33t (30m) to a surface buoy which allows the drone to be controlled via wifi from iOS or Android devices at the surface. Battery life is one hour and its maximum depth is 150 feet (45m).
Issue 92 of Underwater Photography magazine available
Underwater Photography Magazine issue 92 is now available to download. It features articles about the Galapagos, wreck diving in Portugal, whale sharks and the Lembeh Strait. Equipment reviewed includes the Olympus TG Tracker, Zeiss 18mm and Zen DP-200, Nauticam WWL-1 buoyancy collar and cap, Nikon D500 and Ikelite a6300 housing.
- Always watch your back in photo shoots next to the ocean (via )
- The sea nomad children who see like dolphins (via )
- Last of six toothfish poachers arrested in Indonesia (via )
- Adobe releases Lightroom Mobile for iOS v. 2.2 (via )
- E.O. Wilson’s case for setting aside half the planet (via )
- Adobe issues fix for Creative Cloud update issue (via )
- Two ‘extinct’ sea snakes off the coast of Australia (via )
- Warning: Adobe Creative Cloud deletes files in your Mac root… (via )
- Dark heart of the sea with an iPhone (via )
- Apple updates Final Cut Pro to 10.2.3 (via )