Video: Borneo from Below on Mantis Shrimp
Earth Touch: Bait Balls
New nudibranch identification book announced
New World Publications has announced the pre-release of their improved and updated book entitled Nudibranch and Sea Slug Identification - Indo Pacific. Containing over 2,248 images, the book describes 1,953 species, including many undescribed ones.
Olympus announces the OM-D E-M10 Mark II
Olympus has announced their new OM-D E-M10 Mark II mirrorless micro 4/3s camera. It features 5 axis optical stabilization and a new electronic shutter as well as an additional and redesigned control dial. The EVF has been updated and the company claims that AF accuracy has been improved.
NOAA investigates unusual number of whale deaths in Alaska
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) has declared the deaths of 30 large whales in the Gulf of Alaska this summer an unusual mortality event. The unusual mortality event declaration allows NOAA to conduct a thorough investigation into the cause of death for all the whales.
Join Wetpixel in California’s Channel Islands
Join Wetpixel to dive and photograph the Southern Channel Islands, California. Trip leader Jason Bradley is organizing a workshop trip to San Clemente and the oil rigs from 14 to 17 November. Embarkation onto the liveaboard Conception will take place at Santa Barbara on the evening of 13 November. The workshop will focus on Fine Art printing, as well as diving and photographing the creatures and scenery of the Channel Islands.
Bluewater Photo announces the SoCal Shootout
Bluewater Photo has announced that the SoCal Shootout will be held from 18 to 20 September. It will include several new categories and will accept entries taken anywhere in the Pacific south of Pt. Conception to north of the Mexican border.
2nd edition of Neville Coleman’s Nudibranch Encylopedia available to pre-order
The 2nd edition of Neville Coleman’s Nudibranchs Encyclopedia - Catalogue of Asia / Indo Pacific Sea Slugs is being released in September. The book contains over 2000 images and describes over 1198 species of nudibranch.
- Photos of world’s smallest life forms (via )
- GoPro competitor from Chinese company Xiaomi (via )
- Algae helps coral survive in the hottest reefs on the planet (via )
- California beach turns white from unusual hail (via )
- Twenty20 is the world’s largest crowdsourced stock photo… (via )
- A tour of the Atlantis underwater suite Dubai (via )
- New archaeological discovery off Britain to change history (via )
- Sea levels rose 4 inches along the northeast in 2 years (via )
- Olympus releases firmware v3.0 for OM-D E-M1 (via )
- Graveyard of giant lemurs discovered in Madagascar (via )