Philippines declares million hectare MPA
Scientists determine fish are magnetic
In a study recently published in Current Biology, scientists from the University of Oldenberg in Germany have determined that fish use magnetic fields to find their way back to their birthplace. Consistent experiments show that the larvae of Doederlein’s cardinalfish, Ostorhinchus doederleini, will swim south south-east after being thrust into the ocean’s currents. However, when scientists applied a magnetic field to tanks of newly hatched larvae, and then adjusted it by 180-degrees, the fish adjusted their direction every time.
National Geographic and NPS explores inside the well preserved USS Arizona
Archaeologists from the National Park Service and photographers from National Geographic have just completed a 10-day expedition to document interior portions of the U.S.S. Arizona that have previously not been seen since the ships’ sinking in 1941. The 608-foot long battleship sits in 40-feet of water and is one of the most well studied shipwrecks, but sections within the ship have been unreachable until now.
Call for Entries: UPY 2017
The Underwater Photographer of the Year (UPY) contest is making its final call for entries for the 2017 competition. This year it offers 11 categories, including one for the Underwater Photography Book of the year. The deadline for entries is 2 January 2018, with the results due to be announced in early February.
Article: Japanese Giant Salamanders by Don Silcock
Subal announces housing for OM-D E-M1 Mark II
2017 Wreck and Shark Shootout dates announced
Issue 25 of Anima Mundi available
- Nikon accused of falsely advertising D500’s Wifi (via )
- Photographer sues state of N Carolina for copyright infringement (via )
- You can now post photos to Instagram directly from iOS (via )
- Astronaut tweets photo of DSLRs on the ISS (via )
- FStoppers reviews Ikelite housing for Nikon D810 (via )
- Behind the scenes with Zena Holloway (via )
- Connecticut officials remind people releasing balloons is illegal (via )
- FStoppers tests Aquatech Elite underwater housing (via )
- Subal D500 housing to ship from 10 July (via )
- $15k reward offered in death of one of world’s rarest fish (via )