California Academy of Sciences discover 100 new species in Philippines
Some 90 scientists and their assistants from the California Academy of Sciences just returned from an expedition to the Philippines where they collected animals for exhibits and discovered potentially 100 new species. The seven-week expedition was to the Verde Island Passage that lies between the islands of Luzon and Mindoro in the Philippines.
Wild Oceans: Sogod Bay in 4K
Earth Touch’s Wild Oceans episode comes from Sogod Bay in the Philippines and has been uploaded to YouTube in 4K resolution. It features lionfish, nudibranchs, anemone shrimps anemonefish and a mystery fish! Earth Touch are asking that if anyone can identify it, to add a comment below the video on YouTube.
Image: Mako Shark by Amanda Cotton
Image: Great White Shark by Andy Thirlwell.
Results: Durban Undersea Club Shootout
The Durban Undersea Club hosted its annual Still and Video Shootout this year, with the shooting period being between 1 December 2014 through to 3 May 2015. Geographically, the images had to be taken between Mozambique and the Cape. Geo Cloete took first place in the stills contest. Hearty congratulations to all the winers, and it is great to see so many of Wetpixel’s South African contingent to be amongst the placings!
Paper tracks tiger shark migration patterns
The journal Scientific Reports has published a paper that documents tiger shark’s (Galeocerdo cuvier) movements over na extended period. Individual animals were shown to make annual, repeated journeys of over 7,500 km in the northwest Atlantic, from Caribbean coral reefs to “high latitude ocean areas” as far north as Connecticut.
Video: Cave diving in Sweden
Palau sinks poacher’s vessels
Yahoo News reports that the Republic of Palau has burnt 4 boats that were being used by Vietnamese fisherman to illegally fish in Palau’s waters. They were among the 15 that have been impounded since last year and were loaded with sharks and shark fins, lobsters, sea cucumbers and reef fish.
- In pictures: midwinter magic (via BBC)
- Jack W. Lavanchy awarded EUF Honorary Vice President title (via African Diver)
- Mapping the world’s vertebrates (via BBC)
- In pictures: Celebrating ecology (via BBC)
- Our World Underwater and DEEP Indonesia (via African Diver)
- New product - the Quikpod (via African Diver)
- Dolphin therapy and swimming with dolphins (via African Diver)
- Bull shark research in Mozambique - 3 Fathoms (via African Diver)
- Dive China 2013 (via African Diver)
- Conservation in Mozambique - Eyes on the Horizon (via African Diver)