Ask the Pros: Macro Part 1
Wetpixel’s Ask the Pros column returns with an amazing round-up of macro shooting ideas and techniques. The subject is a vast one, and it was difficult to refine it to a manageable number of questions, so it is likely that we will revisit the topic at a later date.
Effort made to protect smelt when SF Bay Bridge was detonated
The largest pier of the old San Francisco Bay Bridge was detonated in a controlled explosion saturday. Caltrans imploded the upper portion of the pier with 22,000 pounds of dynamite at 7:17am, a time when officials hoped to take advantage of light traffic, slack tide and limited smelt. That’s right, a concerted effort was made to protect the endangered longfin smelt.
Video: Just Like You by Rafa Herrero
Rafa Herrero has posted his amazing short film and call to action “Just Like You” on the Wetpixel forums. By visually comparing a world champion freediver to pilot whales, he points out the similarities between him and whale. This then calls into question our ongoing hunting of whales.
Nikon confirms D5 plans
In a press release, Nikon USA has confirmed that it plans to launch a new FX format pro camera body. The D5: will offer professional photographers an even higher level of performance and image quality.” The specifications and launch date of the new camera have not yet been announced.
Video: Earth Touch Manta Ray somersaults
Borneo from Below: Baby Turtle Volcano
Borneo From Below has released episode 16 online. This week, Bertie is present to observe the hatching of a relocated nest of sea turtle eggs that he assisted in relocation. This week’s episode is titled, “Baby Turtle Volcano”.
View from a Blue Moon premieres
Surfer John Florence and Director Blake Vincent Kueny are releasing the first surf film that has been filmed entirely in 4K resolution. “View from a Blue Moon” features footage of Florence and others surfing around the globe and has been described as “possibly the most exquisite surf movie ever made”.
Alan C Egan: Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus but Jupiter has tiger sharks
Photographer and Wetpixel member Alan C Egan has written a short article, accompanied by his images, about tiger shark diving at Jupiter, Florida. The presence of these sharks has only relatively recently been documented, and the reasons for their presence are still largely unknown. They represent a unique photographic subject for divers in Florida.
- New and Rare Creatures Discovered off NZ (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Nikon D600 and Nauticam NA-D600 Review (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Sony Updates Firmware for NEX Series (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Nauticam Announces Housing for Sony NEX 6 (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Indonesia: WWF's Lida Pet-Soede on Overfishing (via DivePhotoGuide)
- RIP Point-and-Shoots? (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Top 10 DPG Features from 2012 (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Sentencing of shark catcher welcomed (via African Diver)
- British Wildlife Photography Awards Now Open (via DivePhotoGuide)
- New York Underwater Photography Society Meeting: Adding Divers… (via DivePhotoGuide)