Last few spaces on Wetpixel Ultimate Tiger Sharks available
We have a few spaces available for the Wetpixel Ultimate Tiger Sharks trip. The trip us running from 4 to 10 January 2015 and is based in Freeport, Bahamas. Reports from Tiger Beach for this season suggest that the sharks are numerous and approachable, so it look like we will have some amazing photO opportunities.
NOAA uses drone to study orcas
NOAA has teamed up with the Vancouver Aquarium to capture aerial images of a group of Northern Resident orcas in British Columbia with a UAV. This population is threatened and feeds on salmon in the area, which is in itself threatened. (Photo credit: NOAA, Vancouver Aquarium.)
Image: Doto and the sun by Ajiex Dharma
Ajiex Dharma has posted this stunning image of a Dendronotid nudibranch (Dendronotid sp.) onto the Wetpixel Facebook group. Perhaps even more noteworthy is that he captured it with a Canon S120 compact camera in a Canon WP-DC51 polycarbonate housing equipped with an Inon Micro Fisheye lens.
CBS moment in nature with sea lions by Lance Milbrand
Image: Cuddling seahorses by Marco Bebi
Recsea announces CWS housings for Sony RX100 series
Recsea has announced the release of their CWS housings for the Sony RX100 and RX100 II. Both are manufactured from machined POM and acrylic, giving a lower price point than aluminum equivalents. Recsea will also offer up/downgrade kits so that users can switch between RX100 and RX100 II cameras in the same housing.
Sea & Sea announces the YS-03 universal lighting system
Sea & Sea has released their universal YS-03 strobe system. The strobe is TTL with a 100 degree beam angle and takes 4 AAA batteries. The lighting system will be available in early November 2014 at a suggested retail price of $350 US.
Wildlife Photographer of the Year contest offers portfolio reviews
The organizers of the Wildlife Photographer of the Year (WPY) contest are offering individual the opportunity of a portfolio review. These will be held as part of the WPY Academy and will be held on 23 October at the WPY 2014 Exhibition in the Natural History Museum, London.
- GoPro successfully goes public, valued at over $3B (via )
- Apple officially ceases development of Aperture (via )
- Apple updates Final Cut Pro X to 10.1.2 (via )
- A new underground aquarium in Mexico City (via )
- NG photo of the day by David Doubilet (via )
- Bycatch in US is costly financially as well as environmentally (via )
- Nikon D810 specifications and images leaked (via )
- Black Magic announces Camera Utility update to v 1.8 (via )
- Canon issues product advisory for EOS 5D Mark III (via )
- Bacteria identified in coral white band disease (via )