nju system releases the Splashbag
nju system has released the Splashbag, which is a camera backpack specifically tailored to the needs of underwater image makers. Constructed to be as water resistant as possible, it features stow away harness and customizable internal dividers. It can accommodate a large SLR housing with an attached viewfinder, strobes and a dome port if required.
Video: Hammerhead fin cam by Andy Casagrande
Ikelite ships Sony RX100 IV housing
Ikelite has announced their housing for the Sony RX100 IV. The new housing has a slide-in front loading camera tray and a redesigned spring-loaded rear dial control. Ikelite’s polycarbonate construction means that the camera’s wifi function can be used to download images at the surface.
GoPro to launch mobile editing app
National Geographic provide advice about success on Instagram
National Geographic has posted part 1 of an article entitled “So You Want to be Successful on Instagram” on its Voices blog. The post asserts that Instagram has “become the social network for visual people” and emphasizes how crucial it is for photographers to get their work on it. Equally, the author Kike Calvo also recognizes the difficulty in getting images seen given the sheer volume of postings.
Flickr reinstates Pro membership level
Video: Phi-Phi Marine Reserve in 4K
Earth Touch’s Wild Oceans channel features 4K footage from the Phi-Phi National Marine Reserve, Andaman Sea, Thailand. The episode features scribbled filefish feeding on animals that are living within the tentacles of a large jellyfish, large schools of bigeye snappers and an interesting symbiotic relationship between a wrasse and a blackspotted pufferfish.
A shiver of 50 basking sharks off Big Sur
On thursday of this past week, squid fisherman Kevin Reynolds witnessed a shiver of basking sharks off the coast of Big Sur. Before basking sharks were hunted to near extinction for their liver oil, large schools of them, or shivers, were common off the coast of Monterey. Reynolds estimates he saw 50 basking sharks at one time.
- Volunteer Divers Needed for Giant Sea Bass Count August 1-16,… (via )
- Atomos upgrades Shogun firmware to AtomOS6.4 (via )
- Obama administration delivers blow to Shell’s Arctic drilling… (via )
- The most common vertebrate in the world is a fish (via )
- Adobe Dehaze: a tool for dealing with backscatter (via )
- Facebook unveils new Snapchat-esque photo editing (via )
- Starfish excrete foreign bodies through their arms (via )
- Tamales Bay revival exceeds expectations in just seven years (via )
- Swimming with sharks off Oahu, Hawaii (via )
- NG photo of the day Orcas by Paul Nicklen (via )