Ask the Pros: Macro Part 1
Wetpixel’s Ask the Pros column returns with an amazing round-up of macro shooting ideas and techniques. The subject is a vast one, and it was difficult to refine it to a manageable number of questions, so it is likely that we will revisit the topic at a later date.
Effort made to protect smelt when SF Bay Bridge was detonated
The largest pier of the old San Francisco Bay Bridge was detonated in a controlled explosion saturday. Caltrans imploded the upper portion of the pier with 22,000 pounds of dynamite at 7:17am, a time when officials hoped to take advantage of light traffic, slack tide and limited smelt. That’s right, a concerted effort was made to protect the endangered longfin smelt.
Video: Just Like You by Rafa Herrero
Rafa Herrero has posted his amazing short film and call to action “Just Like You” on the Wetpixel forums. By visually comparing a world champion freediver to pilot whales, he points out the similarities between him and whale. This then calls into question our ongoing hunting of whales.
Nikon confirms D5 plans
In a press release, Nikon USA has confirmed that it plans to launch a new FX format pro camera body. The D5: will offer professional photographers an even higher level of performance and image quality.” The specifications and launch date of the new camera have not yet been announced.
Video: Earth Touch Manta Ray somersaults
Borneo from Below: Baby Turtle Volcano
Borneo From Below has released episode 16 online. This week, Bertie is present to observe the hatching of a relocated nest of sea turtle eggs that he assisted in relocation. This week’s episode is titled, “Baby Turtle Volcano”.
View from a Blue Moon premieres
Surfer John Florence and Director Blake Vincent Kueny are releasing the first surf film that has been filmed entirely in 4K resolution. “View from a Blue Moon” features footage of Florence and others surfing around the globe and has been described as “possibly the most exquisite surf movie ever made”.
Alan C Egan: Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus but Jupiter has tiger sharks
Photographer and Wetpixel member Alan C Egan has written a short article, accompanied by his images, about tiger shark diving at Jupiter, Florida. The presence of these sharks has only relatively recently been documented, and the reasons for their presence are still largely unknown. They represent a unique photographic subject for divers in Florida.
- Dogs ‘understand minds of humans’ (via BBC)
- Newsweek’s First Animated Cover Captured by Underwater… (via DivePhotoGuide)
- California Moves to Add Sharks to Endangered Species List (via DivePhotoGuide)
- DPG Announces January Monthly Contest Winners (via DivePhotoGuide)
- World’s largest captive croc dies (via BBC)
- Video of the Week: How Nikkor Lenses are Made (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Sockeye Salmon Use Magnetic Field to Navigate Home (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Shark’s Immune System Inspires Cancer Research (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Apple RAW Updates Compatibility (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Cold-Water Volcanic Vent Discovered (via DivePhotoGuide)