Earth Touch: Orca launches harbor seal
KNECT releases dome port for GoPro
KNECT has released the KSD6 6” dome port for GoPro 3+ and 4 cameras. The semi-hemispherical acrylic dome accessory increases the camera’s FOV by over 30% and it will focus nearly 50% closer. The dome is rated to 135 feet and can be attached simply to the GoPro housing and allows access to the cameras controls
Show report: Dive 2015
The Dive Show is the UK’s largest and busiest consumer dive show and attracts a wide audience of participants and exhibitors from the UK and beyond. It was held from 24 and 25 October at the National Exhibition Center, Birmingham, UK. Wetpixel Editor Adam Hanlon was on hand to try and bring the show to those that couldn’t be there.
Scientists collect three miniature giant squid
Scientists have captured and collected not one, but three juvenile giant squid in the first confirmed collection of its kind. All three specimens were collected off the south-west coast of Japan by fishermen. Each squid was less than one pound and between five and thirteen inches in length. One of the three specimens was collected alive and two were collected together.
Gates posts renderings of Starlight 5 monitor housing
Gates Underwater Products has posted renderings of their new housing for the Transvideo Starlite HDexternal monitor on their Facebook page. The monitor is billed as the “smallest, most capable and feature-rich underwater monitor ever deployed” and is powered by power from the camera. The housing gives access to the monitor’s “hot corner” controls and is fitted with a shade extension and a swivel mount that allows it to be positioned in any direction.
Good news for marine conservation
Hurricane Patricia to hit Mexico
Hurricane Patricia is about to make landfall on the Mexican Pacific coast. The storm has strengthened and the BBC is reporting that it is now the “strongest storm to hit the Americas”. For all those that are in the path of the storm, we hope that you and your loved ones are in a place of safety. Our thoughts and prayers go out to you.
Call for entries: World Shootout 2015
The World Shootout is calling for entries. The contest is actually three competitions rolled into one: The real-time shootout accepts any image that has been shot underwater between 1 January and 1 November 2015. The Global Championship is a national team event based around the same concept, and the Video Clips of the World category accepts any video clip, shot underwater at any time and in any place in the world.
- Dogs ‘understand minds of humans’ (via BBC)
- Newsweek’s First Animated Cover Captured by Underwater… (via DivePhotoGuide)
- California Moves to Add Sharks to Endangered Species List (via DivePhotoGuide)
- DPG Announces January Monthly Contest Winners (via DivePhotoGuide)
- World’s largest captive croc dies (via BBC)
- Video of the Week: How Nikkor Lenses are Made (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Sockeye Salmon Use Magnetic Field to Navigate Home (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Shark’s Immune System Inspires Cancer Research (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Apple RAW Updates Compatibility (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Cold-Water Volcanic Vent Discovered (via DivePhotoGuide)