Video: Wild Oceans Playful dolphins and a zebra shark
Earth Touch’s Wild Oceans features more footage from Sodwana Bay, KwaZulu Natal, South Africa. This week’s episode was shot at Anton’s Reef, and features an array of marine creatures including playful bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops aduncus) and a cruising leopard or zebra shark (Triakis semifasciata). At the macro end of the scale, there is also footage of a seaweed goby (Bryaninops yongei) and juvenile dragon wrasse (Novaculichthys taeniourus).
Apple patents underwater photography image editing tools
In a move that should be of note to underwater photographers, Apple has patented underwater photography image editing tools. The editing tools aim to color correct for the underwater color loss of foreground subjects independently while retaining the blueness of the water itself.
Sealux ships housing for Panasonic HC-X1000
Sealux is shipping their housing for the Panasonic HC-X1000 4K camcorder. Constructed of aluminum, it features a 5 inch rear display and all-mechanical controls. It has interchangeable front ports and although it is supplied with a flat port, it can be fitted with a dome if required. It has internal close-up and ND flip filters.
Second ever pocket shark described
Scientists have just discovered the second specimen ever collected of a small shark known as a pocket shark. The first pocket shark (Mollisquama parini) was discovered in 1984 off the coast of Peru. This second species was inadvertently collected by scientists in the Gulf of Mexico studying sperm whales.
Book release: 100 Facts About Dolphins
Viktor Lyagushkin, Nikon Ambassador and National Geographic Russia photographer, together with Bogdana Vashchenko have just released an eBook entitled “100 Facts about Dolphins”. The book represents the results of several years of research and photography into the Black Sea Black Sea bottlenose dolphin (Tursiops Truncatus Ponticus).
Resources for Adobe Lightroom 6/CC users
Since Lightroom 6/CC’s release, Adobe has posted over 60 tutorials. These include guides for those completely new to the app, as well as orientation to the new features in the latest release. The tutorials are free to view and represent an amazing resource. Don’t forget to check out Wetpixel’s review too.
Japan suspended from world aquarium association
The Dodo reports that the World Association of Zoos and Aquariums has suspended the Japanese Association of Zoos and Aquariums due to concerns that they were obtaining dolphins from the infamous drive hunts at Taji, Wakayama, Japan. This amounts to Japanese aquaria and dolphinariums no longer being recognized by any international bodies.
Video: Canon on 4K optics
- Sentencing of shark catcher welcomed (via African Diver)
- British Wildlife Photography Awards Now Open (via DivePhotoGuide)
- New York Underwater Photography Society Meeting: Adding Divers… (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Video of the Week: “Life of a Wave Photographer” (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Rumors: Post CP+ Show Speculation for Nikon and Canon DSLRs (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Video: Photographing Antarctic’s Leopard Seal (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Mobile Photography Awards Feature Stunning Pics (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Canon Announces Firmware Update for EOS 1D-C (via DivePhotoGuide)
- DPG Announces December Monthly Contest Winners (via DivePhotoGuide)
- In Photos: The Hammerhead (via DivePhotoGuide)