New species of deep sea octopus
Stephanie Bush of the Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute (MBARI) has been slated with the task of describing and naming a new species of deep water octopus. The previously unknown species is a member of the Opisthoteuthis genus, which may be familiar as the Dumbo octopus is a member as well as the Flapjack octopus, upon which the Finding Nemo character Pearl is based.
First Look: Adobe Creative Cloud 2015
Adobe released a significant update to the Creative Cloud yesterday. Wetpixel takes a look at the new features in Lightroom and Photoshop and shows examples of how these new tools can be used by underwater photographers.
The 2015 SEA Change expedition to combat ocean plastic
Adobe updates the Creative Cloud
Adobe has just released a major update to the Creative Cloud. Creative Cloud 2015 includes significant new features in Lightroom CC and Photoshop CC. The previously trailed Dehaze slider has been added to Lightroom along with localized white and black slider adjustments, while Photoshop gets performance improvements to healing brush and patch tools as well as to Content Aware Move and Extend functions.
California Academy of Sciences discover 100 new species in Philippines
Some 90 scientists and their assistants from the California Academy of Sciences just returned from an expedition to the Philippines where they collected animals for exhibits and discovered potentially 100 new species. The seven-week expedition was to the Verde Island Passage that lies between the islands of Luzon and Mindoro in the Philippines.
Wild Oceans: Sogod Bay in 4K
Earth Touch’s Wild Oceans episode comes from Sogod Bay in the Philippines and has been uploaded to YouTube in 4K resolution. It features lionfish, nudibranchs, anemone shrimps anemonefish and a mystery fish! Earth Touch are asking that if anyone can identify it, to add a comment below the video on YouTube.
Image: Mako Shark by Amanda Cotton
Image: Great White Shark by Andy Thirlwell.
- Sea slug ‘disposable penis’ astounds (via BBC)
- VIDEO: Sea turtle gets artificial flippers (via BBC)
- Turtles Choose the Perfect Moment to Lay Eggs (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Can the Global Ocean Commission Help? (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Brian May unveils woodland vision (via BBC)
- Chasing Fairy Basslets (via DivePhotoGuide)
- EU budget raises wildlife concerns (via BBC)
- Purple sandpipers are ‘in decline’ (via BBC)
- Scuba diver dies off Durban (via African Diver)
- How to track an ‘invisible’ animal (via BBC)