Borneo from below: Nudibranchs
Earth Touch: Close encounter with feeding whale sharks
The latest Earth Touch video features “Close Encounter With Feeding Whale Sharks”. The focus of the episode are the whale sharks of Cenderawasih Bay, Indonesia where divers are almost always guaranteed to see whale sharks. They are present year round and congregate beneath the platforms of local fishermen.
Nautilus Live revisits whale fall years later
Robert Ballard and the Nautilus Live expedition is over half way through their six-month 2015 season and recently they revisited the Rosebud whale fall from 2011. The finback whale carcass was originally deposited on the ocean floor off San Diego after being struck by a ship and killed. The opportunity to study a whale carcass at depth was, and still is, rare and exciting.
Live reports: Wetpixel Whale Sharks 2015
The 2015 series of Wetpixel Whale sharks trips are starting tomorrow, with folks gathering from around the world to snorkel with and film or photograph the large numbers of whale sharks (Rhincodon typus) that gather off Isla Mujeres, Mexico. We will be reporting “live” from Isla Mujeres over the next three weeks, hopefully bringing a flavor of this amazing trip to those of you that can’t be here. Please keep checking back for updates each day.
DAN Europe testing underwater drone
Video: Dolphin Army by Simon Buxton
Wetpixel member Simon Buxton has posted some amazing footage of a huge pod of common dolphins (Delphinus delphis) as it makes it’s way up the East African coast each year in the search of sardines. He invites us to “follow them for a short part of this journey to see what they find.”
Video: Howard Hall’s Baskers
Call for entries: Festival Mondiale de l’Image Sous Marine
- Nauticam Announces NA-G15 Housing (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Australia's Shark Fin Appetite (via DivePhotoGuide)
- BBC Slideshow: Taking the Best Wildlife Shots (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Five Reasons to Love Underwater Photography on Valentine’s Day (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Will the Frankenfish get FDA Approval? (via DivePhotoGuide)
- In Pictures: National Nest Box Week (via BBC)
- New owl species is described (via BBC)
- Wildlife photos: How to take the best shots (via BBC)
- Katy Danca Galli Joins DPG Team as Photo Editor (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Video: Dive into “Baja” (via DivePhotoGuide)