Image: Great White Shark by Andy Thirlwell.
Results: Durban Undersea Club Shootout
The Durban Undersea Club hosted its annual Still and Video Shootout this year, with the shooting period being between 1 December 2014 through to 3 May 2015. Geographically, the images had to be taken between Mozambique and the Cape. Geo Cloete took first place in the stills contest. Hearty congratulations to all the winers, and it is great to see so many of Wetpixel’s South African contingent to be amongst the placings!
Paper tracks tiger shark migration patterns
The journal Scientific Reports has published a paper that documents tiger shark’s (Galeocerdo cuvier) movements over na extended period. Individual animals were shown to make annual, repeated journeys of over 7,500 km in the northwest Atlantic, from Caribbean coral reefs to “high latitude ocean areas” as far north as Connecticut.
Video: Cave diving in Sweden
Palau sinks poacher’s vessels
Yahoo News reports that the Republic of Palau has burnt 4 boats that were being used by Vietnamese fisherman to illegally fish in Palau’s waters. They were among the 15 that have been impounded since last year and were loaded with sharks and shark fins, lobsters, sea cucumbers and reef fish.
Story behind images of humpback whales fighting underwater
Image: Seahorse by Pasquale Vassallo
Pasquale Vassallo shared his amazing image of a short snouted seahorse (Hippocampus hippocampus) on the Wetpixel Facebook Group Pasquale captured the image during a night dive in the Mediterranean Sea, in a canal linking the sea of the Gulf of Naples and the lagoon Maremorto - Bacoli at a depth of 2 meters.
Sony unveils the RX100 IV compact camera
Sony has announced two new pro compact cameras. The RX100 IV is of interest for underwater use and features up to 40x slow motion capture (at 960p) and up to 5 minutes of 4K filming. Autofocus has been improved and there are new customizable controls. It features a ZEISS® Vario-Sonnar T* 24-70mm (35mm equivalent) F1.8-F2.8 lens.
- The bug-hunters finding new species in their spare time (via BBC)
- Seafood Restaurant Fines Customers for Wasted Food (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Drug residues ‘alter fish behaviour’ (via BBC)
- Disabled Loggerhead Turtle Gets Prosthetic Fins (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Nauticam Announces NA-G15 Housing (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Australia's Shark Fin Appetite (via DivePhotoGuide)
- BBC Slideshow: Taking the Best Wildlife Shots (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Five Reasons to Love Underwater Photography on Valentine’s Day (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Will the Frankenfish get FDA Approval? (via DivePhotoGuide)
- In Pictures: National Nest Box Week (via BBC)