Instagram allows portrait and landscape aspect ratios
Instagram has now relaxed their rules regarding aspect ratios and users can now share photos and videos in both portrait and landscape orientation. In order to do so, there is now a format icon that allows users to adjust the orientation to portrait or landscape instead of square. Once the image or video are shared, the full-sized version of it will appear in follower’s feed.
Behind the scenes of a single take underwater video
Champion freediver Marina Kazankova holds her breath for five minutes during this single shot underwater music video for “Lydia” by Highly Suspect. The behind the scenes video shows how the music video was shot and the feelings the band hoped to evoke from the viewers through this video.
Review: Fantasea FG7X housing
Wetpixel editor provides a review of the Fantasia FG7X housing for the Canon PowerShot G7 X compact camera. The housing was tested during the recent Wetpixel Whale Sharks expedition to Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Canon announces the EOS M3
Canon USA has announced the EOS M3 mirrorless camera. Designed for “enthusiast photographers”; it features a 24.2 megapixel APS-C sized sensor with an ISO range of 100 to 12,800 and the DIGIC 6 Image Processor. It has a 49 point hybrid AF system and front an drear control dials. The company also announced 11-22mm f4-5.6 zoom and and a 22mm f2 compact prime lens among others.
Video: Borneo from Below on Mantis Shrimp
Earth Touch: Bait Balls
New nudibranch identification book announced
New World Publications has announced the pre-release of their improved and updated book entitled Nudibranch and Sea Slug Identification - Indo Pacific. Containing over 2,248 images, the book describes 1,953 species, including many undescribed ones.
Olympus announces the OM-D E-M10 Mark II
Olympus has announced their new OM-D E-M10 Mark II mirrorless micro 4/3s camera. It features 5 axis optical stabilization and a new electronic shutter as well as an additional and redesigned control dial. The EVF has been updated and the company claims that AF accuracy has been improved.
- Marine Bacteria to Help Sinusitis Sufferers (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Photos of an Underwater Nuclear Explosion (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Killer plants glow blue to lure prey (via BBC)
- Interview: Photographing Newsweek’s First Animated Cover (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Ikelite Announces Nikon D5200 Housing (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Whales benefit from action on noise (via BBC)
- Anti-Anxiety Drugs Change Fish Behavior (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Rare giant armadillo birth recorded (via BBC)
- Introducing Pure Apnea - a new freediving kid on the block (via African Diver)
- Rescued oil birds set to be released (via BBC)