MBARI discovers deepest hydrothermal vents in Pacific
Scientists with the Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute (MBARI) recently discovered the deepest known hydrothermal vents in the Pacific Ocean during expeditions in the Gulf of California. The location of the vents are in a portion of the Gulf of California known as the Pescadero Basin, approximately one hundred miles east of La Paz. At 3,800 meters below the surface, this newly discovered field of hydrothermal vents are the deepest known in the Pacific Ocean.
Sperm whale rescue and recycling nets
In related news, a team from the Center for Coastal Studies, Massachusetts, USA, is seeking funding to undertake a rescue mission to remove a rope that has entangled a spem wjhale off Dominica and Fourth Element has launched their new range of OceanPositive clothing made of fiber from recycled ghost fishing nets
Google expands street view to include 40 more underwater locations
Google Street View has added 40 new locations around the world to their catalog of underwater locations just in time for World Oceans Day on June 8, 2015. Street View has worked in partnership with XL carlin Seaview Survey, NOAA’s office of National Marine Sanctuaries and the Chagos Conservation Trust. The locations include American Samoa, Bali, Bahamas and the Great Barrier Reef.
Norbert Wu’s Favorite Images: Monterey
In this week’s episode of underwater photographer Norbert Wu’s favorite images column, he talks about his return to diving in Monterey Bay and an image of a juvenile crab in a pelagic jellyfish (Pelagia colorata) that he shot with a Nikonos equipped withe extension tubes.
Happy World Oceans Day 2015
TTRobotix launches the Seawolf underwater drone
Video: Flying mobulas
Article: Avoiding data loss
- Serif updates Affinity Photo beta (via )
- 5 ocean centric TED talks (via )
- Freediving underwater photographers on CNN (via )
- Issue 18 of Anima Mundi magazine is now available to download (via )
- MBARI develops simple open source underwater camera (via )
- Rihanna’s underwater shark shoot for Harper’s Bazaar (via )
- Images and specs of Nikon D810a leaked online (via )
- Adobe updates Lightroom Mobile to v.1.3 (via )
- Microsoft unveils image composite editor v2.0 (via )
- Photos for Mac that will replace Aperture and iPhoto (via )