Major report points to overfishing for Caribbean coral reef decline
A recent major report, Status and Trends of Caribbean Coral Reefs, from the Global Coral Reef Monitoring Network (GCRMN), the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN), and the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) was published pointing to overfishing as the culprit of Caribbean coral reef decline. The report included data that spanned Caribbean coral reef data from over 40 years and was analyzed by 90 experts over the course of 3 years.
Video: Comb Jellyfish and Pleurobranchia by Frazier Nivens
Study shows that devil rays dive deep
Dr Simon Thorrold, an ocean ecologist at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute and a team have published a paper in the journal Nature Communications showing the results from tagging 15 Chilean devil rays (Mobula tarapacana) with special satellite tags. The findings include the amazing fact that they dive to depths of up to 1,848m (6,063 ft). (Image from Shutterstock)
Karen Glaser’s Springs and Swamps Series
Photographer Karen Glaser has been photographing the springs and swamps of Florida for decades. Through artist-in-residencies award programs through organizations like Big Cypress National Preserve and the Everglades National Park, Glaser has gained access to endangered fresh water springs and swamps in southern Florida.
Reports from Aquarius: Mission 31 updates
Video: Lake Baikal by Alex Benedik
Video and details on Benjamin Von Wong’s shipwreck shoot
Video: Manta Ray in 6K
[Ron Lagerlof]9http://vimeo.com/ronlagerlof) has shared some footage that he has shot for stock with Mammoth HD that has been shot in full 6K resolution on the RED EPIC Dragon. The video features giant Pacific mantas rays (Manta birostris) with clarion angelfish (Holacanthus clarionensis) cleaners. The footage was captured at The Canyon, Isla San Benedicto, Mexico.
- Are we using too much Photoshop? (via )
- 325 million year old shark fossil discovered (via )
- Scientists solve case of CA red abalone die off (via )
- Eyefi launches cloud service, photos everywhere immediately (via )
- Daniel Botelho on assignment for NG (via )
- Pixels.com puts photographers in charge for a change (via )
- Nikon updates Capture NX to 2.4.7 (via )
- Jamaica reports decline in lionfish after national campaign (via )
- Humpback whales surf pipeline (via )
- Creative underwater portraits of children (via )