Counting down: Our World Underwater 2016
Wetpixel and Dive Photo Guide’s Our World Underwater photo contest is approaching its final deadline for entries. The contest is one of the biggest and most respected underwater imaging competitions in the world, and the winners will share in over $10,000 worth of prizes. If you haven’t yet submitted your entries, now is the time to do so! The deadline for entries is 6 February.
Video: Canon EOS 1D X Mark II in the wild
Hands on: Nikon D5 and D500 cameras
Nikon Professional Services UK held their first launch event for the new D5 and D500 SLR cameras in Manchester, UK yesterday. Wetpixel was on hand to take some pictures of the new cameras and to report on the event.
Call for entries: BigPicture 2016
The BigPicture Natural World Photography Contest is calling for entries. There are numerous categories, including one for “Aquatic Life” and a portfolio contest on Coral Reefs. Entries are open now, and close on 31 March. There is a a discounted entry fee available until 14 February.
Report: BOOT Show 2016
The BOOT show is the world’s largest watersports show. Among the 14 giant halls that the show occupies at Messe Dusseldorf, Germany, is hall 3, which plays host to the scuba diving industry. Further tucked into this space are exhibitors showing underwater imaging gear. Check out Wetpixel’s live reports from the event.
Canon announces EOS 1D X Mark II
Behind the Shot: Konrad Malek
Paul Allen’s mega yacht destroys large percentage of protected reef in Cayman Islands
The 300-foot mega yacht of Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen, MV Tatoosh, reportedly dragged its anchor and destroyed 80 percent of a protected reef in the Cayman Islands. The reef, known as the West Bay Replenishment Zone, has been protected for 30 years.
- Adobe updates Photoshop CC to 2015.1.2 (via )
- Nikon updates NX-D for Mac to v.1.3.1 (via )
- China weighs ban on manta ray gills (via )
- Snoop Dogg narrates Planet Earth (via )
- Drop in action camera sales leads to layoffs at GoPro (via )
- Nikon sliced this D5 in half to reveal its guts (via )
- A 300-year old ship at a construction site in VA (via )
- An ocean aged bourbon (via )
- Kelly Slater surfs the first wave in his man made wave pool (via )
- The underwater sculptures of Jason deCaires Taylor (via )